PDA

View Full Version : how bad is this economik crisis?And Whet it will end?

fdrake
April 25th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Just submit your vote and nothing else please, I'd like this thread to show just the community's view by the poll not by the comments of each-one. Thank you.

Dr Small
April 25th, 2009, 03:17 AM
From the announcement (directly over your thread):

Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues

methinks that maybe this is sorta drawling the line? :)

fdrake
April 25th, 2009, 03:25 AM
this is an economic matter not a political one.

From the announcement (directly over your thread):
Quote:
Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues
methinks that maybe this is sorta drawling the line?

mc4100
April 25th, 2009, 03:31 AM
This is an economic matter not a political one.
Partly true, you'd be hard pushed to answer the question "when will it end?" (or even how bad it is) with out bringing fiscal policy in -- and that most certainly is a political matter.

fdrake
April 25th, 2009, 03:36 AM
ok the I'll change my first post. How can i change the thread title? I'd like to cut the last sentence: "and when it will end?". Can an admin do it for me? I just want to have a percentage view of the situation, not a debate about how,when,who and why..

Bölvaður
April 25th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I shouldnt answer as I found a good customer.... my first.. so I'll be making stupid amount of money compared to nothing before.... but at the same time I'd only afford 1 car instead of 2 if I'd buy a car for that money that is.

so yes.. more money... but still... the money aren't worth as much :(

fdrake
April 25th, 2009, 03:42 AM
ok the I'll change my first post. How can i change the thread title? I'd like to cut the last sentence: "and when it will end?". Can an admin do it for me? I just want to have a percentage view of the situation, not a debate about how,when,who and why..
if it's possible..

MikeTheC
April 25th, 2009, 03:48 AM
It would be nice if the thread title and the poll were not full of spelling errors, for one.

FWIW, I agree with the above posts. Apart from the (obviously significant) part that the general public directly played in this by super-over-extending themselves, there's no way to discuss this without the broader context of socio-political actions, government policies and so forth.

There's also no way to discuss "how to fix" this, either, for exactly the same reasons.

Moreover, if this board's population is anything like the other major message boards I participate on, even if it were possible to not utilize one single political word in discussing it here, it would not be possible to avoid a flame-war, simply because there are wildly different points of view which, frankly, are not reconcilable.

And before anyone here wants to whine and complain about the lack of access to discussing political or political-ish matters, let me assure you that I absolutely agree, 100%, with the administrators of UF in not allowing political discussions simply because they destroy boards through becoming battlefields and tearing up the comraderie any such boards once had. I've been through it over and over, and I have no desire to see it happen here.

SunnyRabbiera
April 25th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Well personally I find myself between soso and bad, I am making money but it seems to spend itself before I get a penny for myself.

fdrake
April 25th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Since this is a very delicate theme, and I don't want this
thread to close so early due to a fight of personal views, I would like to ask everyone in here to just limit to vote on the pool from now on and to not give comments. So please. Do me a favor change your posts to something else like "I voted this pool" and nothing else, just to keep this poll alive. In this way no knows your personal view and no one can reply to you for any reason.
THANK YOU.......................................

fdrake
April 25th, 2009, 04:08 AM
i voted this poll.(just trying to keep the poll alive)

gymophett
April 25th, 2009, 04:50 AM
It hasn't affected my family. We are making more money actually. My dad just got a job that makes $150,000 yearly, and my mom makes $60,000.

lisati
April 25th, 2009, 04:52 AM
About the only thing that has affected our family is inflation.

halovivek
April 25th, 2009, 05:01 AM
working hours in office is extended for one and half hour more and salary cut.

LightB
April 25th, 2009, 06:13 AM
No difference. Self employment is always a wild up and down ride.

k2t0f12d
April 25th, 2009, 06:30 AM
It will end when the people who engineered it decide it should end.

Firestem4
April 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I voted "good:i am making a little more then before" for 1 very important reason.

Until recently I had no job at all. My job right now is actually (as far as the state is concerned; ) My first job. So making money after nothing is certainly an improvement. And after searching for a year too!

The economy coulnd't have made it harder for my generation to get into the real world. I am 19 years old and have been out of High School for a year., and have been job hunting this entire time.(While I digress. Im my humble opinion the media makes the economic situation sound a hell of a lot more drastic than it really is, it really isn't that bad everywhere.)

Eisenwinter
April 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
The so called "economic crisis" doesn't exist.

It's a government plan, they can pull themselves out of it by adding more numbers (aka money) to everyone's bank accounts.

schauerlich
April 25th, 2009, 07:08 AM
The so called "economic crisis" doesn't exist.

It's a government plan, they can pull themselves out of it by adding more numbers (aka money) to everyone's bank accounts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

Eisenwinter
April 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation
That's ******** man, all they need to do is make everything cheaper, it's that easy.

schauerlich
April 25th, 2009, 07:11 AM
That's ******** man, all they need to do is make everything cheaper, it's that easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflation

Eisenwinter
April 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM
The current system is planned to be like this. It's only happening because the US government wants it to.

k2t0f12d
April 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InflationActually its the devaluation of currency in response to the expansion of the money supply. The cost of goods and services is simply a side effect of the cause.

LuigiAntoniol
April 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Mostly unaffected, but that's because we're in a consultancy.

Have you ever read Scott Adams' consultancy issues through his flagship cartoon, "Dilbert"?

Now you understand.... :lolflag:

gnomeuser
April 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I have to vote so-so for my personal finances. I have due to my personal situation never had a whole lot of money to spend and while my spending has gone up slightly it is mainly due to an attempt to improve my life (aka getting a gym membership) and going to see my fiancée who is in Brazil. On other counts I have cut down or found ways to optimize my spending, e.g. my gym membership is nearly entirely funded by the saving it brings about. I eat healthier and more importantly less which naturally tends to cut costs. The travelling will continue only for another year hopefully as we have both been looking hard for a place for her to do her Ph.D. closer by me.

I have no fear that the end of hardship for the world will not come, it will though take a while and in the meantime we will see lots of bad news. I think it is also important to focus on the impact of the changes we have made, it is not going to go away with the waving of a magic wand and will take time.

It is also a chance for us to rethink old ideas and see where to squeeze and optimize, not in the old fashioned just do less sense but following the Bill Nye mantra of doing more with less. The will and reason to act is there and technology is improving vastly to allow for new things. Planning investments with an eye towards the future on all levels is going to do us all good and bolster us to prevent this happening again.

Things are bad, but ultimately they are temporary. There will be a lot of unpleasant fall out which will hurt people and businesses. That is the very real human impact to deal with, I hope we will all act to lessen the immediate pain of our neighbours, friends, colleagues and fellow humans but also propel society to bounce back stronger than ever with a solid foundation to do better in the future.

RandomJoe
April 25th, 2009, 01:07 PM
The poll reminds me of the phrase "it's a recession when my neighbor loses his job, it's a depression when *I* lose my job!" :P

I don't quite fit any of the categories. I'm not making any more than I was before all the fun began a year or so ago, but I sure am having fun spending more. Largely because I put in a ton of effort ahead of time (the previous five years) paying off my house. Finished that goal last September, just as the whole financial mess heated up.

So now, even if the price for one thing has gone up (usually due to what's happened to the dollar) I can still afford it. On the other hand, many of the items I'm after right now are suffering from a lack of demand so the price is going down. Sweet! Been installing an off-grid solar system to power parts of my house the past few months, and most of the items for that are nicely down from a year ago.

I have no worries for the future. I still am saving money - in mutual funds, no less! - as I believe long-term things will stabilize and continue on. This correction, sudden and painful though it was, has been a long time coming. I was surprised it took as long as it did to get here, certainly been expecting the housing bubble to burst for almost 8 years now.

Swagman
April 25th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Incorrect option in poll for me.

I need a "No difference Whatsoever" But don't go doing anything stupid and lose my job option.

In fact, Monthly outgoings are considerably lower at present but that only offsets the catastrophic calamity that has happened to the Endowment Mortgages in the UK.

About 3 years ago I had to convert £8K to repayment because my endowment isn't performing. Just this morning I got another letter saying my endowmnet isn't performing again but checking through it I found we would be just £100 short.

I've got less than 3 years left on my mortgage so hopefully the market doesn't go entirely **** up in that time.

I'll finish paying for it just in time for the 2012 catastrophe !! :lolflag:

Oh.. And low interest payments meant our life savings aren't doing any good as well.

schauerlich
April 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Actually its the devaluation of currency in response to the expansion of the money supply. The cost of goods and services is simply a side effect of the cause.

Economists generally agree that high rates of inflation and hyperinflation are caused by an excessive growth of the money supply.[4]

Spiritous
April 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Not affecting me as a student, though it should, I'm earning enough to keep the rent, etc...

Mr. Picklesworth
April 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Where's the "I really don't care" button?

I try to keep a complete detachment from concerns regarding money and that "global economy" junk. I consider this an amusing little exercise in hoping that people wake up and notice they've been had. (Oops, there goes the conspiracy theorist in me...). Yet, we still see the result of stores, for example, buying excess quantities of junk because they want to create a need out of thin air and have people buy said junk. It's all about spending beyond anyone's means or needs for the sake of "expansion."

“Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we can't eat money. -Cree proverb"
Quietly looking forward to the 0% global economy.

Not that I haven't been had as well, of course :)

fdrake
April 27th, 2009, 12:38 AM
comon guys! vote, vote..