PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No option to change release upgrade to normal upgrade

ntwelch
April 25th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Total Noob, in software sources, I only have 3 tabs - updates, third party, authentication.

Updates tab only has one check box 'Check for updates' and two options 'Download all updates in the background' or 'Only notify about available updates'.

There is no 'Ubuntu updates' or 'Release upgrades'

How do I upgrade?

Dell Mini 9

m_2009
April 25th, 2009, 02:08 AM
If you go into the updates tab you should be presented with a screen looking like the one attached (This isnt actually fom my ubuntu, but an image from the ubunt help pages)

As you can see near the bottom, there is a drop down menu which should let you change the Release Update type which should give you a choice of 2 being:

Normal Releases
Long Term Support Releases Only

Hope this helps.

ALso which version of ubuntu are you running?

ntwelch
April 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I saw that on one of the pages where I searched for how to upgrade. I don't have that option. Here is what my screen looks like.

m_2009
April 25th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Which version of ubuntu are you using?

ntwelch
April 25th, 2009, 05:35 AM
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 8.04.1
Release: 8.04
Codename: hardy

ntwelch
April 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Does my version help with the answer to the problem?

snowpine
April 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
8.04 is the most recent release of Dell's special version of Ubuntu. There is no "Dellbuntu" 8.10 or 9.04.

It is completely your choice; if you are happy with the Dell version, it will be supported through April 2011. But, if you want to try something "newer," you can re-install the "regular" (non-Dell) version of Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04 from scratch. I personally am using 9.04 on my Mini 9 with no major problems.