PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I wait for Kinky Koala

wjwh
April 25th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I have been using Hardy Heron since its release, despite the problems which have never been resolved, such as the shut-down screen problems. The poll on Intrepid Ibex was so negative that I decided not even to try it. Now, as far as I can see, the poll on Jaunty Jackalope is not much better. Should I wait for the 9.10 version (Kinky Koala?? :)), in the hope that we will get an installation that does not cause as many problems as the last few seem to have done?

zvacet
April 25th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Every time when new release is out you can read many bad things about it.Truth is that it takes time to get release polished.Personally,I resolved graphic driver problem just upgrading to Intrepid.But,main thing is if you are satisfied with Hardy there is no reason to upgrade.

foresto
April 25th, 2009, 02:48 AM
If you wait a few weeks before you upgrade, there will be a lot more people familiar with and able to help you solve the common problems. A few weeks more and some of those problems will already have been fixed. Keep in mind that Ubuntu releases are continually updated, as is the collective knowledge of the community.

Rocket2DMn
April 25th, 2009, 03:10 AM
The next release will be called Karmic Koala :)
Remember that you can often test bugs using a LiveCD of a development version of Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/

sloppyc
April 25th, 2009, 03:37 AM
The next release will be called Karmic Koala :)
Remember that you can often test bugs using a LiveCD of a development version of Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/

I think it should be changed to "kinky." That's what I'll be calling it, anyway.

As for the Jackalope, the liveCD was fine, but once installed, no go.

lisati
April 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I think it should be changed to "kinky." That's what I'll be calling it, anyway.

As for the Jackalope, the liveCD was fine, but once installed, no go.

Keep on smiling, as long as people know what you mean. I'm looking forward to "Leapin' Lizards"

sloppyc
April 25th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Keep on smiling, as long as people know what you mean. I'm looking forward to "Leapin' Lizards"

:lolflag: I hope they haven't decided on the codename for 10.04, Leapin' Lizards needs to be considered.

pbpersson
April 25th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Karmic Koala 9.10 LTS will be buggy as heck when it first comes out - that is my prediction.

I guess that brings me to another question - since it is an LTS version, will there be NO new exciting features in there? Is an LTS version always boring?

Rocket2DMn
April 25th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I don't believe Karmic will be a LTS release...

Aearenda
April 25th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I have installed Jaunty on 4 computers so far, and in every case it has been by far the most boring installation of Ubuntu ever. By which I mean, it almost all just works!

pbpersson
April 25th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Ah....my mistake.....10.4 LTS Leapin' Lizards is what I was thinking of