PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD won't boot to GNOME - just command line

Jethro_uk
April 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hi there,

after being badly burned by the 7.10->8.04 upgrade (I lost my xorg config and had to call in an expert to fix it - I'm a Windows expert Linux noob) I decided to just see how 9.04 looks. The live CD boots fine, I get the menu. I select "try Ubuntu without installing" option, it loads and goes straight to the command line.

no GNOME.

no GUI

a command line.

since no one else appears to have this, it's clearly my setup. Could my nvidia graphics card (which caused all the problems last time) be the culprit ? Or have I done something so staggeringly stupid, I'll just have to die ?

cheers guys

Monotoko
April 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM
odd, can you run
lspci and display the results here?

also try running startx from the command line...im pretty sure it wont start, but it will probably give some meaningful errors as to why it doesnt start

ddrichardson
April 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I don't know how much the LiveCD logs but are there any clues in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Jethro_uk
April 25th, 2009, 12:57 AM
odd, can you run

also try running startx from the command line...im pretty sure it wont start, but it will probably give some meaningful errors as to why it doesnt start

unfortunately the machine I am writing on now is the one I am trying it on ... I may try once more before bed....

Jethro_uk
April 25th, 2009, 08:27 PM
odd, can you run

startx worked fine ! New version looks nice, but until I can find an expert to install it, I'm sticking with 8.04