PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble with liloconfig after Jaunty upgrade

livtin
April 25th, 2009, 12:27 AM
During upgrade from intrepid to Jaunty I recieved a message which informed that there was no previous version of Lilo and I should run liloconfig and then sbin/lil. Unfortunately when I tried to run liloconfig I recieved the following message
WARNING! │
│ │
│ Your /etc/fstab configuration file gives device │
│ UUID=87279d44-51c1-486f-9288-029bb0538f54 as the root filesystem device. │
│ This doesn't look to me like an "ordinary" block device. Either your │
│ fstab is broken and you should fix it, or you are using hardware (such │
│ as a RAID array) which this simple configuration program does not │
│ handle. │
│ │
│ You should either repair the situation or hand-roll your own │
│ /etc/lilo.conf configuration file; you can then run /usr/sbin/liloconfig │
│ again to retry the configuration process. Documentation for LILO can be │
│ found in /usr/share/doc/lilo/.

How do I fix this please. I am an absolute beginner so will need detailed direction.

Dexx4d
May 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I'm having the same problem. My previous hard drive had failed and I've just installed a new 500gb seagate sata drive. Used my old ibex live cd to install, then upgraded to jaunty. First upgrade failed halfway, so I ran it again. The second time I got a different dialogue that walked me through a "partial upgrade". About halfway through, I received a warning that I needed to run liloconfig and then /sbin/lilo when done or lilo wouldn't work.

When I run liloconfig, I get the a similar error to the original poster.

livtin
May 10th, 2009, 12:21 AM
After a little digging and re-reading the installation notes I discovered that the Lilo thin is a known issue. It seems Lilo is a boot loader which is not required in this distribution of Ubuntu asince the boot loader for Jaunty is grub and it is working just fine. After I had watched the boot sequence to ensure that Grub was working correctly I made sure that Lilo was uninstalled and all is well!!
:P

Dexx4d
May 10th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the update!