PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Total Blackout with Jaunty

iang1
April 25th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I was running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid and it told me there was an upgrade to 9.xx Jaunty something or other so I thought great! do it! The install/upgrade seemed to go fine until it came to the auto restart at which point the whole thing just froze at a blank screen with nothing visible and no disk action to indicate anything was happening. I now have a machine that seems to be loading OK up to the point at which one would expect the desktop to show itself and at that point all I get is a blank/black screen and therefore no way to see what has happened. I don't know if an error message may be showing or if it has just simply frozen at that point or even if the whole thing has worked perfectly. Any ideas anyone? before I reinstall v8.10 or throw the whole thing in the bin!!

Sef
April 25th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Can it boot up into safe mode? At the log in screen, it is listed under options.

iang1
April 25th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Can it boot up into safe mode? At the log in screen, it is listed under options.

Apologies -a slight misdirection is implied in my post. The screen actually blanks out before the log in screen, at the point where the where the loading "scroll" disappears. Assuming this to be the log in point I have tried logging in but the screen remains blank, so I do not know know if this is correct.

I have tried logging in at this point and it seems to have been the correct thing to do as i can now access the Ubuntu machine through "My Network Places" on the networked Windows XP machine. Even though I am unable to see anything on the Ubuntu machines' screen I can access it via my network.