PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble changing from OpenSuSE to Ubuntu

evil-noxx
April 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM
hi,

I'm having trouble getting my Ubuntu 9.04 to work. The problem is that after i install it and reboot my PC grub says something like "Loading, please wait... error 15" and then just hangs there.

I really don't know if it matters but i installed ubuntu on 2 partitions (one / and the other /home), both reiserfs.
Once i tried installing MacOS and i couldn't boot because of something called jmicron that my motherboard has. Don't know if it's relevant or not.

I've tried reinstalling grub using 2 methods: grub-install /dev/sdc (gives some error about the BIOS) and grub -> root (hd2,4) -> setup (hd0) which seems to install just fine but gives the same error.

I tryed both those methods to install grub on 2 of my 3 hard drives and used install-mbr to clean their MBRs.

Does anyone have any ideias??

zvacet
April 25th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Here (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#15) is explanation what error 15. means and how to fix it.

evil-noxx
April 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
thank you for the help. Turns out it was a corrupt stage1.5 or something that couldn't be fixed with a simple install. I had to remove /boot/grub/* in order for the new installation to work.