PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu 8.04-8.10 upgrade completely killed my computer -- please help

Leopardson
April 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM
After a little struggling getting the the update to connect to the Ubuntu server to get the update tool, the thing finally upgraded.
Adept popped up with a message, saying it has completed, requesting to restart.

I did.

After the loading bar finishes, I only get one "OK" message, and it hangs till I press CTRL+ALT+F1.
When I try to login through there, I get "Could not find /etc/bash. Please contact blah blah blah".
Sudo works, but none of my programs do.
No adept, no synaptic, not even DHClient.

All packages are gone.
All I did was a distro upgrade, that I had done last night too, which worked fine.

1. What the hell happened?!
2. Can I repair it?
3. If not, can I get my data back?

I am not dual booting on the same hard drives, only seperate.

I'm on my Windows partition, which has been infected with some irremovable viruses.
I have to close a "Your PC may be unsafe" Internet Explorer popup every three seconds.
I use Firefox.

All I wanted to do was work my way up to 9.04. :(

GuiGuy
April 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM
All I wanted to do was work my way up to 9.04. :(

I don't think I'll be much help, but I came up against a similar issue on upgrading(???). Except I just got a blank screen :( - I made an image of the sda1 using my Acronis Rescue Disk. This will at least gave me a copy of my /home directory for a restore.

I then tried a clean install. Unfortunately for me the installer gets stuck at 82% (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1136017) and that seems to be it.

I'll probably put 8.10 back until 9.04 matures a bit.

Cheers

Leopardson
April 25th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I would be fine with 8.10 if it would work.

I also get a blank screen sometimes when I start Kubuntu, even before I started the update.

Pressing CTRL+ALT+F2 gave me the console, and required me to reconfigure xorg to get it to work.

Leopardson
April 25th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm in computer hell.
I am halfway through fighting some nasty viruses on Windows, and am taking some nasty blows. E.G. Wiped out Trojan.Vundu.H, it brought my wireless drivers, clamWin, and Firefox install with it.

I doubt Windows is going to stay alive longer then a few hours, and it is the only way I can use the internet.

I need Kubuntu up and running.

Skype is my only way to communicate with people.

Does ANYONE have any ideas on how to fix the problems?