PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi installer downloading wrong version

hyderalamgir
April 24th, 2009, 11:37 PM
My system's a core 2 duo intel running XP right now.
I'm trying out ubuntu, in fact, my first linux experience.

Now, I downloaded ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386, when i try running the installer, it starts downloading ubuntu-9.04-desktop-amd64... why is that?

Also, what does installation size refer to?

suprecook
April 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM
It might be doing that if you have windows 64 bit installed. If that's not the case try downloading wubi from another place. Or download the iso, burn it onto a disk and run wubi from that.

hyderalamgir
April 25th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I don't have any blank CDs to burn it on, only DVDs, can I burn CD isos into a DVD? Nero wouldn't let me.

My Windows came bundled with the system and the processor is a 64 bit processor. I couldn't find a way to know if my Windows is a 64 bit or a 32.

hyderalamgir
April 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Correction I have a 32 bit windows... confirmed.

I downloaded from ubuntu's site itself, not a torrent, direct download, my net is a 3G so it's slow.... I'd prefer not to have to download it again.

hyderalamgir
April 25th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Please... someone... which ubuntu version do i download?

m_2009
April 25th, 2009, 03:46 AM
You could try renaming the ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386 file to ubuntu-9.04-desktop-amd64 and then run wubi???

Not sure if it will work, but it could possibly trick wubi into thinking it already has the correct file...

hyderalamgir
April 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Nope, doesn't work

Partyboi2
April 25th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I don't have any blank CDs to burn it on, only DVDs, can I burn CD isos into a DVD? Nero wouldn't let me.

My Windows came bundled with the system and the processor is a 64 bit processor. I couldn't find a way to know if my Windows is a 64 bit or a 32.
You can burn the iso to dvd, you can use a program call imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn the iso.
If you need to find out if you are running 32bit or 64bit xp you can do one of these methods

Method 1

Click Start, then click on Run or Start Search.
Type msinfo32.exe and then press Enter key.
In “System Information”, review the value for the System Type item:

For 32-bit editions of Windows, the value of the System Type item is x86-based PC.
For 64-bit editions of Windows, the value of the System Type item is x64-based PC.

Method 2

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
Click the General tab. The operating system appears as follows:

For a 64-bit version operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version <Year> appears under System.
For a 32-bit version operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.

hyderalamgir
April 25th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Thanks, I'll try that DVD Burner.

And it is a 32 bit Windows... for sure now

m_2009
April 25th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Do you have the wubi.exe file and the ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso file in the same folder??

and you havent extracted the iso contents, it is still the full 700MB ISO file??

Partyboi2
April 25th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Another thing you could try is to put the ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386 and the wubi.exe into the same folder and run the wubi.exe but make sure you have disconnected first from the internet.

m_2009
April 25th, 2009, 03:58 AM

You dont need to burn the ISO to a CD/DVD. Wubi can install ubuntu using the downloaded ISO file directly.

hyderalamgir
April 25th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Ahhh yes, I placed the ISO in the folder extracted from that ISO and now it works... thanks guys!