PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] alternate cd installer insists on downloading from internet

huzzam
April 24th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hi--

I'm running Xubuntu 8.10 64-bit inside VirtualBox on a machine with a no internet connection. I decided to do an upgrade with the Xubuntu 9.04 64-bit Alternate CD. I ran
gksu "sh /media/cdrom0/cdromupgrade" and when asked whether I wanted to download packages from the internet, I said no. The installer then proceeds to try anyway to download, and fails with many errors along the lines of "couldn't download package [...], host [...] failed to resolve".

Any ideas on how to get this upgrade working with no internet connection? It's SUPPOSED to work from the Alternate CD...

(FYI, the 8.10 installation is fairly up-to-date, having been updated about two weeks ago when the machine had a decent internet connection.)

Thanks
peter

zvacet
April 25th, 2009, 12:47 AM
First make your Intrepid up to date.I know that it was updates past two weeks,so maybe that is reason why your upgrade didnīt go as it should.And you are right,from alternate CD you should be able to upgrade without internet connection.Question about using internet when you doing upgrade make it possible to have updates when you doing install.But that doesnīt mean anything.You can upgrade and download updates later.