PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I do a clean install of ubuntu 9.04 UNR on acer aspire one?

rachelgoodpeople
April 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM
HI, new to all this, and want to do a clean reinstall of ubunut 9.04 UNR on my acer aspire one that was running 8.04, but recently upgraded to 9.04 desktop. I want to clean all that off and just run 9.04 netbook remix. I have downloaded UNR to a flash drive. Now what? I've never done this before, thanks, Rachel

beanhead
April 25th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Well you need to do more than download it to your flash drive. You need to install the usb image writer in synaptic packager. Just search image writer.
when you have that installed you will find it under accessories. Open it and browse for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix image you downloaded. Then select write to your usb key. Or usb stick. Then reboot hit F12 and boot from your usb stick. Then you can pick install that way have fun ! UNR IS GREAT

I have it running on an aspire one right now as im typing to you.

jonwatson
April 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have an Acer Aspire One that is currently running Windows (it was cheap!) but I would like to run Ubuntu UNR.

I have downloaded the 9.04 IMG file and dd'd it to my flash drive (1GB). When I boot my netbook and press F12, one of the boot options is my USB drive, but it won't boot. The netbook always boots into Windows on IDE0. I've even set the boot order int the BIOS to use the USB drive first, but no go.

I've checked the MD5 of the IMG file, re-dd'd it to ensure no errors, but nothing works.

Anyone else having this problem and have a clue how to get around it?

Thanks

Jon

jonwatson
April 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Oh, strangely, when I used the GUI imagewriter, it works. Must be something off with how I dd'd it.