PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Linuxfest 2009

StitchJAcket
April 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I'm sure we are but just in case. Will the Ohio LOCO team be setting up a booth this year at linux fest? If so I would love to help out.

jpeddicord
April 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Sure will be. Help will definitely be needed this year. I won't be able to do too much organizing for this either, I'm starting at OSU this year, though I could probably help out here and there.

Basically, this is what needs to be done:

Reserving booth at least a few months in advance ($70 fee last year, not sure if prices have changed. We can round this up in a pool so one person doesn't have to pay for it all.)
Power is probably another $70 $90 if I remember right.
Try to get more supplies/CDs/swag ordered (I know some people that can be contacted regarding this, though I can't order this year because I'll be at a dorm)
At _least_ three people to work the booth throughout the day
Contact System76/others regarding demo units for display
Whatever promotional stuff we can get for the booth :)

I'm sure the activity for this will pick up a lot after the release party on the 9th.

Derath
April 27th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Slight correction, power was $90 and I would expect it to be the same. So we would need $160 total for booth/power.

I can start a dialogue with S76 again for some demo units, we may even get one of their new netbooks :) And of course there's a good chance they will send us some stickers/flyers as well.

tnseditor
April 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Yay! Planning for Linux Fest :D. Hopefully I'll be able to attend this year.

jakenn-linux
May 11th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I'm the new guy from Saturday night. Where and when is LinuxFest (or is this referring to OLF that I know about and have attended)?

Derath
May 11th, 2009, 07:40 AM
It's the OLF :) Was good meeting you this weekend!

zerhacke
May 11th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'm hoping to attend this year. I didn't get to attend last year, there were no ride shares in my area.

My father and I were going to go together, but he passed away last month. Now I'll definitely need a ride share.

zerhacke
July 9th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Work is being done behind the scenes to make OLF/Ohio Ubuntu to work.

zerhacke
July 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm hoping to attend this year. I didn't get to attend last year, there were no ride shares in my area.

Update: My wife, my stepson, and I are all registered and will definitely be going. We have made our own transportation arrangements.

zerhacke
July 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Work is being done behind the scenes to make OLF/Ohio Ubuntu to work.

I suppose saying "behind the scenes" sounds a bit wrong. There's no secrets or anything like that.

I'll be manning the booth, if allowed! :guitar:

Derath
July 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Updates from my end: I applied for the booth and have $$$ to pay for it now, waiting to hear from OLF Committee about where to send payment.

Also contacted System76, and seems they will be happy to send a couple laptops and maybe a netbook or two to demo.

This could mean that I might need help carrying boxes into and out of the conference...

zerhacke
July 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'll help carry stuff.

Derath
July 9th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Update: I now have the official registration form and will be filling that out and sending it, and the payment, in on Sat. It also seems were are one of the first 12 to register which means (provided no one else registers before they receive our application) we can get free power for OLF. WOOHOO!

Looking at the possibility of getting one of those folding rolling carts/trolleys/push-cart things...

zerhacke
July 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Talked to the wife: If we are not of the first 12, we'll pay for power.

I can't remember, is there wifi there? If so I'll bring my B/G router and we can set up a network using it. If there's not, I might still bring it to showcase some of the network capabilities of *buntu.

Derath
July 10th, 2009, 12:39 AM
iirc, there's no wifi there, they (Greater Columbus Convention Center) are very picky about internet service, and it is outrageously expensive (iirc something like $500+ per IP, and no DHCP devices can be connected, i.e. no router to split the purchased IP).

I did notice on the Sponsership form that there's an Internet sponsorship, not sure if that's for the event, or if that's for supporting the website/servers/etc...

Either way, I would EXPECT there to not be wifi at the event, but subject to change.

Derath
July 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Payment/registration mailed.

Emailed S76 to verify shipping info for me. Awaiting reply.

tnseditor
July 27th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks for getting things setup Derath. :)

zerhacke
August 12th, 2009, 03:52 PM
The Swag is stateside! It's currently sitting in Memphis TN. I have the tracking number for it. Customs gave me a little fit with some paperwork to fill out and there's some problem with the value on it but at least it is here. I've just submitted the paperwork that says I'm the tax person of record along with my signature so that should be enough, there's nothing more that needs to be done to ship it (we hope).

Tracking says that I'll have the Swag in my door by 11AM tomorrow if the paperwork comes off without a hitch.

zerhacke
August 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
The paperwork went through. I will receive package tomorrow around 11AM.

jpeddicord
August 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Awesome. Thanks again for your help on all of this. :)

bostonaholic
August 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hopefully I can make it to OLF this year. I've been wanting to go the past several years.

zerhacke
August 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
The swag is here! It's on my kitchen table right now going through it to make sure everything is there. We've got stickers, shirts, baseball hats, and more shirts.

I expect the CDs will come soon.

zerhacke
August 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I expect the CDs will come soon.

The CDs are here. I'm guessing there are something like 200 CDs or more here.

It was kind of strange, with the other swag I had to fight customs and FedEx to get it here. The CDs just showed up in an unmarked van with no problems.

zerhacke
August 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm guessing there are something like 200 CDs or more here.

Strike that, there's 600 CDs here.

jpeddicord
August 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Out of curiosity, what kinds were sent? I was told that they had a surplus of server discs and might send more of those - which is fine; those discs were actually really popular last year.

I've got somewhere between 120-150 discs of different kinds. I had a specific count a while ago, but I've since moved the discs around to fit in two boxes and can't find where I wrote that down. :P

zerhacke
August 14th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Give me a few minutes to find out. The different kinds are color coded so finding by type is going to be pretty easy.

I'll have that info for you in a few minutes.

zerhacke
August 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
There are 600 Cds total in 6 boxes, which means there is 100 CDs per box. All the CDs are Ubuntu 9.04. There are 200 server edition CDs and 400 Ubuntu desktop CDs. There are no Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Edubuntu CDs.

Derath
August 17th, 2009, 05:19 AM
If possible I'd like to get another hat... and which shirts did they send? (prefer the black ones)

zerhacke
August 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM
There are two hats.

There's like 10 black shirts. I don't know the exact amount off hand, but if it's important to you I can go upstairs and count them by size for you.

What size do you wear?

jpeddicord
August 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I'd like to get one of the black shirts myself (L), but other than that you all can decide what you want with the stuff.

muklinux
August 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM
where is linux fest

zerhacke
August 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'll go upstairs right away and set aside a black L shirt for you.

zerhacke
August 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
where is linux fest

http://www.ohiolinux.org/ It's in Columbus.

Derath
August 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
XL Black shirt if available :)

zerhacke
August 18th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Ok, I've looked through the swag.

I have an XL black shirt and a hat being held back for Derath.

I have an L black shirt being held back for Jacob.

My wife took the M Ubuntu Guru shirt.

None of the shirts are in my size so I'll be wearing my black Hacker shirt.

I know we can't get internet at OLF, but what is stopping us from putting up a private LAN? I ask this because I'm wondering if we could showcase the Ubuntu networking (and wireless, I mean System 76 machines gotta have wireless, right?). My idea is to bring my router, set up a small private network, and showcase what Ubutnu can do with networking. Maybe a private SAMBA server (I can set this up on my laptop beforehand). Physically showing people how to set up SAMBA, CIFS/SMBFS mounts through fstab, what have you... I think it's a good idea. What do you guys think?

jakenn-linux
August 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Ok, I've looked through the swag.

I have an XL black shirt and a hat being held back for Derath.

I have an L black shirt being held back for Jacob.

My wife took the M Ubuntu Guru shirt.

None of the shirts are in my size so I'll be wearing my black Hacker shirt.

--Nothing for us "bigger boys"?

I know we can't get internet at OLF, but what is stopping us from putting up a private LAN? I ask this because I'm wondering if we could showcase the Ubuntu networking (and wireless, I mean System 76 machines gotta have wireless, right?). My idea is to bring my router, set up a small private network, and showcase what Ubutnu can do with networking. Maybe a private SAMBA server (I can set this up on my laptop beforehand). Physically showing people how to set up SAMBA, CIFS/SMBFS mounts through fstab, what have you... I think it's a good idea. What do you guys think?

--I think that sounds like a great idea. I would love to see that in action. I'm having some troubles with networking, so to see it in action will really help.

John

Derath
August 19th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Might not be a bad idea, but don't expect that they will allow it. For whatever reason they are being picky on networking stuff...

So, on that note, would someone mind bringing a power strip? Unfortunately the one i had last year is now in use and I can't bring it this year. Oh, and an three pronged extension cord, not longer than 15 foot preferred.

zerhacke
August 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I'll bring the power strip. I have a three prong extension cord but it's only 5 feet long.

Perhaps we could ask the convention center if they will allow a private non-internet network. If it's wireless they are worried about I have a four port switch that we could use instead.

jpeddicord
August 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'll bring the power strip. I have a three prong extension cord but it's only 5 feet long.

Perhaps we could ask the convention center if they will allow a private non-internet network. If it's wireless they are worried about I have a four port switch that we could use instead.

I doubt they care as long as we're not using /their/ connections. :)

zerhacke
August 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Turns out I can fit the XL Guru shirt. I'll wear that instead of my hacker shirt.

paultag
September 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Any chance you can save a Large Black shirt? I feel like I should have _something_ ubuntu when we are working the stand :)

Derath
September 20th, 2009, 04:37 AM
So one of the System76 packages arrived yesterday. I am confirming that we have for the show: 1 Gazelle, and 1 Starling. I've checked the Starling (as the wife wanted to check it out) and it works great, too bad I'll have to send it back after the conference. LOL LOVING the casing on the Gazelle, seriously wish I had that casing on my Pangolin!

Anyways, I believe there will be a second package arriving sometime this coming week with S76 flyers/coupons and stickers.

Note: I'll take a pic of the Laptops and post later this week.

mathay
September 29th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I suppose I'll come out of the wood work and say how nice it was to see everyone at OLF (in particular: Derath, jacobmp92 (thank you for the place to stay for Paul and I), paultag, and everyone else who I met and whose forum names I don't know). It was a great time and I feel extremely fortunate to meet all of you.