PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2nd attempt at install

AKviking
April 24th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Okay, this is my second attempt at installing Ubuntu on my Desktop.

I have installed it on an older machine and it's been working on that for about a year now without any problems aside from what the user injects into it.

The main problem I am having is that after the initial install, I cannot get sound working, Dual Monitor setup working or my bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard won't work.

My sound card is a Creative Labs SB X-Fi which lspci -v recognizes, but this model is not in the ALSA database.

For video I have two widescreen Viewsonics both plugged into a Nvidia 8800 GTS. I have followed tutorials online, and some in this forum, but they tend to make things worse if anything. I would like one desktop for the two monitors or 2 x-sessions would suffice.

And I have a Logitech MX5000 bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse. When I set those up according to what I've found online, it does not work so well. I was able to get them working once out of a dozen attempts, but then they did not work again after reboot.

I enjoy how Ubuntu works on my older machine, I use it at work flawlessly (although it does not have my unique setup) and my buddy Sean has it working great on his laptop.

I'd like it to be my main OS with Windows as backup, but if I can't get these things working . . . I have to endure the alternative some more.

Does anyone have any specifics on these devices??

TIA