PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing the 64 bit vs 32 bit question

westernwind
April 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I am quite new to ubuntu and how it works but I have certain question that is bugging me right now. That question is whether or not if it matters what version of ubuntu will matter when I install the version on my amd 64 bit computer? I am asking because I wanted to know if the 64 bit version will make it slower on my pc and if it is okay to install the 32 bit on my 64 bit computer.

Please give me reasons why it is better to have the 64 bit version or the 32 bit version on the computer please because I do not like it when people don't give me any reasons.

Thank you for reading and if you are helping me, then thank you again.

tchalvakspam
April 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM
the 64 bit version should work faster and harness more of your system resources (especially ram & other memory, if you have over a certain amount, around 3 gigs, you should definately go with 64bit).

Essentially the only downside for using the 64 bit version I've found is that 64 bit flash is much less stable, I often have to restart firefox when I want to run a flash video. I believe it's possible to just downgrade firefox specifically to the 32 bit version, I just use flashblock to avoid dealing with flash at all unless I want to.

If you don't mind having to restart firefox every once in a while to deal with flash being buggy in the 64 bit version, you should probably go with the 64 bit version.

Most importantly of all, though:
Try the liveCD first! If you can run the liveCD, your hardware is compatible, so -then- install the OS to the disk.