PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trashed X.org in 8.10, can I just upgrade to 9.04 from CD via command line?

tchalvakspam
April 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
So I was trying to understand what part the flgrx video drivers had to play on my machine, wanted to see whether the "free drivers" or the "closed source" drivers were faster, but an installation of the non free flgrx driver apparently removes x.org and a lot of stuff related to x.org, which I didn't notice while I was trying to install. So I'm left with a machine that boots to the command line, and which I can't connect via wireless to undo the problem.

Now, since 9.04 is out, I'm guessing that an upgrade might just undo the damage (install a new xorg, hopefully), but since I can't connect to the internet, I can only think to run the upgrade from the alternate install CD. And nowhere can I find any mention of how to BOTH
run the install from the CD and run it completely within the command line, since I don't even have access to any kind of graphical interface without x.org.

Would upgrading to 9.04 from the alternate CD reinstall my x.org? And what command can I run to make the upgrade occur within the command line?