PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 9.04 and now ubuntu wont start

thermobee
April 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hey guys,

I just upgraded to the new ubuntu and after the restart i get the loading screen and then it just turns black with some messed up graphics on the bottom third of the screen. I had this problem when i first installed ubuntu, but the difference is that it would load about half the time. This time ive tried about 10-15 times and it still hasnt loaded. I am not 100% sure but i think the problem before was the video card and the proprietery drivers. I have an ATI X850XT. No clue what to do since i cant get into the OS at all. Please advice.

Thank you

mwacky
April 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Boot into the (Recovery Mode) single user mode and you should get to the shell, hopefully someone can tell you what to do there to fix your video issue.

tomdkat
April 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hey guys,

I just upgraded to the new ubuntu and after the restart i get the loading screen and then it just turns black with some messed up graphics on the bottom third of the screen. I had this problem when i first installed ubuntu, but the difference is that it would load about half the time. This time ive tried about 10-15 times and it still hasnt loaded. I am not 100% sure but i think the problem before was the video card and the proprietery drivers. I have an ATI X850XT. No clue what to do since i cant get into the OS at all. Please advice.

Thank youI had this same problem even though I have a different ATI video adapter than you. I ended up re-installing the xserver-xorg package and that worked for me. You can read about my issue here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134841).

Peace...

thermobee
April 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I had this same problem even though I have a different ATI video adapter than you. I ended up re-installing the xserver-xorg package and that worked for me. You can read about my issue here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134841).

Peace...

Thanks

thermobee
April 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM
The reinstall of the xserver-xorg did not help me. What was the command to get the /etc/Xll/xorg.conf. file so i can adjust the display from there?

thermobee
April 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
bump

thermobee
April 24th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Ok i figured it out, but it said that i cant open the file, so i need more help figuring out the problem. Please Help

thermobee
April 26th, 2009, 11:49 PM
someone please give any advice