PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help: in 9.04 I don't see any restricted drivers to activate

tjwolf
April 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I was previously running Ubuntu 8.10 with the nvidia restricted drivers activated.

I decided to do a fresh install of 9.04 today, but I can't figure out how to activate the NVidia drivers. In 8.10, when I went to System->Administration-Device Drivers, I would see the NVidia driver and I could enable it. After installing 9.04, I don't see ANYTHING on this screen! I went into the Synaptic package manager and searched for 'nvidia' I find a bunch of packages that are installed!

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I really need the nvidia driver because i want to make use of the second (and bigger) monitor (using twinview).

Thanks a bunch.

P.S. the machine is a Dell Latitude D820 - as I mentioned, graphics-wise, everything was running just fine in 8.10.

ScottBurnham
April 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I am having the same problem. Fresh install of 9.04. I go to System>Admintation>Hardware Drivers and there is nothing listed to enable. In the past nvidia drivers have always shown up. any ideas?? this 800x600 view is not to my liking! Thanks!

tjwolf
April 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Scott,
I just went into the "Software Sources" and picked a site near me (Columbia University) instead of relying "Main Server" (under the assumption that perhaps it was overworked). Turns out that this was a good thing to do. After I made this change and ran "Update Manager" again, I went back to "Hardware Drivers" and I now see the NVidia drivers!

I activated the latest one and am now waiting for the download to happen...it seems very slow - probably because of all the Jaunty downloaders :-)

Hope this helps you too.
tom

ScottBurnham
April 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks, I made sure the system was up to date and reset my computer and I came right up in the Hardware Drivers.

tjwolf
April 25th, 2009, 01:37 AM
...I see the drivers, but whenever I try to activate, it tries to actually download the drivers and eventually fails with the message:

Sorry, the Jockey backend crashed. Please file a bug at:

ubuntu-bug jockey-common

Trying to recover by restarting backend

When I reported it, I found that quite a few others have had this problem :-(