PDA

View Full Version : My windows story....

Wallakoala
January 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I dont wanna start an anti microsoft discussion, but I will tell a story that makes me hate them and that piece of software that is named windows....

So I was resizing my ubuntu partition. I had 200 gigs for windows and only 50 for ubuntu, so I made the windows partition smaller, and then created a new ubuntu partition. It worked just jolly. But then I realized that I could not boot windows. A quick check with ubuntu and I was able to clearly see that all of the files were still there. I decided to try the repair tool on the windows xp disc to see what it would do. I don't remember exactly what happened...but somehow it formatted my hard drive. As you can tell at this point...I was very pissed. I reinstalled ubuntu and decided to wait to install windows, but I made a partition for windows.

A couple of days later, I decided to install windows. When it came to the screen that asked which partition to install on, there were two choices. The ubuntu partition, and the empty windows partition. I selected the partition that was not the ubuntu one. I thought to myself "Maybe I should go back and make sure I selected the right one." So I go back and make sure that its gonna format and install windows on the correct one. After verifying this, I start the format procedure. It was about halfway through the formatting when I realized that it was formatting the OTHER drive.

damn you windows....

Derek Djons
January 6th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Spending four years reinstalling and repairing Windows computers on a daily base (my work) I never came across such much software related errors.

One thing I know for sure is that Windows it's Install manager and recovery options are very good build. Not all the feature are build to give maximum dual-use dual-managemant support but I can't name one application from experience which can demolish Linux filesystem by just recognizing it.

I think you used features like fixboot / fixmbr which can't always be used when your MBR gets messy. In this case the best thing to do was to use software like ERD Commander to safely extract your data onto a other drive or partition.

rickyjones
January 7th, 2006, 02:50 AM
I dont wanna start an anti microsoft discussion, but I will tell a story that makes me hate them and that piece of software that is named windows....

So I was resizing my ubuntu partition. I had 200 gigs for windows and only 50 for ubuntu, so I made the windows partition smaller, and then created a new ubuntu partition. It worked just jolly. But then I realized that I could not boot windows. A quick check with ubuntu and I was able to clearly see that all of the files were still there. I decided to try the repair tool on the windows xp disc to see what it would do. I don't remember exactly what happened...but somehow it formatted my hard drive. As you can tell at this point...I was very pissed. I reinstalled ubuntu and decided to wait to install windows, but I made a partition for windows.

A couple of days later, I decided to install windows. When it came to the screen that asked which partition to install on, there were two choices. The ubuntu partition, and the empty windows partition. I selected the partition that was not the ubuntu one. I thought to myself "Maybe I should go back and make sure I selected the right one." So I go back and make sure that its gonna format and install windows on the correct one. After verifying this, I start the format procedure. It was about halfway through the formatting when I realized that it was formatting the OTHER drive.

damn you windows....

Hate to incite or nitpick, but it won't just "format your partition" unless you actually told it to format it. I've used the repair functions on the windows xp disk many times, it's a lifesaver for a lot of my customers.

-Richard

Wallakoala
January 7th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Hate to incite or nitpick, but it won't just "format your partition" unless you actually told it to format it. I've used the repair functions on the windows xp disk many times, it's a lifesaver for a lot of my customers.

-Richard

All im saying is that I am 100% sure that I selected the empty 40 gig partition. Why it started to format the other one is a mystery to me.

bored2k
January 7th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Not sure Windows is to blame here. Heck, the UBuntu installer can do waaaay more damage, and it barely asks for confirmation.