PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound after upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04

emanuel75
April 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hello,

I have upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 today and have a problem now: Sound isn't working anymore (both in Gnome and KDE). Changing the audio settings doesn't have any effect.

I am using an Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, sound is on board. Who can help ...?

Thanks a lot!

mousestalker
April 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Hello,

I have upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 today and have a problem now: Sound isn't working anymore (both in Gnome and KDE). Changing the audio settings doesn't have any effect.

I am using an Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, sound is on board. Who can help ...?

Thanks a lot!

Did you look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449 ?
That might help isolate where the problem is.

Fuertes::Benjami
April 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi. Had the same problem. It's been solved by following the instruccions on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

except that libao-pulse wasn't found, but tried the suggestion of libao2... and volia!

$ sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins padevchooser libao2 libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

Fuertes::Benjami
April 24th, 2009, 08:55 PM
voila! :-)

sb360
April 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Im having a similiar problem but even after following that guidline I get nothing. I keep getting an error from pulseaudio saying "Connection Failed: Connection Terminated"
It seems to have been installed but I cant get any sound out of my computer.

I have just installed 9.04 (reinstall rather than upgrade)

emanuel75
April 25th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Thank you all very much! Pulseaudio brought sound back to my computer! The volume seems to be a bit lower than before but it works now.

To sb360: In my case using Benjamin's command line

$ sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins padevchooser libao2 libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

made the big difference. (Note that it 's different from the command line shown on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578) Maybe it helps you run your sound card too.

Thanks again!

jbraswell
April 25th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I'm still having trouble. When I try to run

pulseaudio & pavucontrol

I get this

[1] 7493
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time and/or high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary privileges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt', PolicyKit refuse to grant us the requested privileges and we have no increase RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time/high-priority scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit privileges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_a lsa_playback_0 tsched=0"): initialization failed.
E: socket-server.c: bind(): Address already in use
E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-esound-protocol-unix" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

(pavucontrol:7494): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_main_quit: assertion `main_loops != NULL' failed

(pavucontrol:7494): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_main_quit: assertion `main_loops != NULL' failed
[1]+ Exit 1 pulseaudio

sb360
April 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Thank you all very much! Pulseaudio brought sound back to my computer! The volume seems to be a bit lower than before but it works now.

To sb360: In my case using Benjamin's command line

made the big difference. (Note that it 's different from the command line shown on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578) Maybe it helps you run your sound card too.

Thanks again!

Nope I did that and it seemed to complete fine but still no sound.

When I enter pulseaudio & pavucontrol I get this

[1] 27112
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time and/or high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary privileges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt', PolicyKit refuse to grant us the requested privileges and we have no increase RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time/high-priority scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit privileges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.
[1]+ Exit 1 pulseaudio

Then the control panel opens for a few seconds and then dies with the connection failed: connection terminated message again

jbraswell
April 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Nope I did that and it seemed to complete fine but still no sound.

When I enter pulseaudio & pavucontrol I get this

[1] 27112
E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.
[1]+ Exit 1 pulseaudio

Then the control panel opens for a few seconds and then dies with the connection failed: connection terminated message again

I have no idea why, but I ran this

pkill pulseaudio; sleep 2; pulseaudio -vv

just to get info on pulse audio, and afterwards, everything worked. (Yes, I had restarted multiple times before.) Actually, after I did that, I had sound, but it was very quiet. I had to run alsamixer and turn everything back up.

Weird, weird Ubuntu.

cathalcummins
August 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I am tempted to upgrade to Ubuntu Studio 9.04.

I recall that it took ages to tweak the sound on the initial setup; I'm running M-Audio Delta 44. Jack was a pain to get right too.

Is there any way I can get a snapshot image of my audio/video etc settings, like a backed up registry? That is, so I could just tell my system to search said folder and assign the settings as before.

Also, on a more practical note; is it worth upgrading at all (other than the eventual lack of support for v8.10)?

Thanks.

cathalcummins
August 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I hope you don't mind me bumping this thread. :confused: