PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't reinstall, will torch system

knixo4
April 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have been running a dual boot Ubuntu 8.10 + Ubuntu 8.10. During my attempt to make a bootable pen drive Ubuntu 8.10, I apparently messed something up. After several days of trying to correct GRUB error 17 I gave up and decided to just reinstall. My new problem is that IF I am able to fully load the live CD (for some reason it likes to hang up on a username/password screen, and no combination I have come up with gets me further), and finally get the normal live cd desktop with "examples" and "install icons", I discover, many times over, that the install icon doesn't work. I've rebooted over and over, still the same. I've alt F2 + ubiquity, nothing. I've system-admin-install, nothing. Oh, and I've tried installing before going all the way to the desktop and all I get is a "Loading please wait" and cursor, forever. Does anyone know of any solutions, other than torching my current system?

oldos2er
April 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
It sounds like the LiveCD may be corrupted. Can you burn a fresh copy?

knixo4
April 25th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Yes, I have a second copy. I suppose it's worth a shot. I'll report back. Can't believe I didn't bother to try that yet!