PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what is best way to upgrade in my case..

lalamax3d
April 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM
i am trying to switch from windows since last months, using my hp laptop, ubuntu 8.10.
almost done. only flash is app, which still forces me to keep dual boot

everything is working extremly fine, don't want to risk. lots of software installers which seems hard to find in synaptic and kept in same linux partition. and all are working fine.

Q1- do i need to backup those, and reinstall new copy with bootable dvd on same linux partition.
or
Can i upgrade this just like remaining softwares from synaptic (if this is possible, too good, but not sure, just wanted to ask, what is best way)
are there any repos / gpg keys available
because some time ago, something happens and most of time while typical udpates, it says, can't find all udpates and synaptic closes.
any suggestions will be extremly helpful and appriciated
btw: thanks for making such a cool OS and community
regards, lala

newempt
April 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
You should be able to upgrade without your old files/settings being erased.

Artemis3
April 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Backup is always good, no matter what. Plus, if you backup, you can delete your partitions and install from scratch.

That said, you can upgrade using upgrade-manager (hit alt f2 and type it).

Also, according to winehq, Flash version 5, 8, MX and maybe CS3 are working fine with wine. Did you try these?

lalamax3d
April 24th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Backup is always good, no matter what. Plus, if you backup, you can delete your partitions and install from scratch.

That said, you can upgrade using upgrade-manager (hit alt f2 and type it).

Also, according to winehq, Flash version 5, 8, MX and maybe CS3 are working fine with wine. Did you try these?
thanks about update manager, just noticed that it is showing small upgrade button at top. too good. love it. going to do that tonight

regarding flash on wine, i'll try (just installed wine)
have a good day