PDA

View Full Version : Does 9.04 have out of the box support for ASUS EEE netbooks?

NintendoTogepi
April 24th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm currently running Eeebuntu 8.10...I'd consider swapping to regular Ubuntu 9.04, if it works. Does it?

JohnFH
April 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I also have an eeepc and am running eeebuntu for 8.10. The eeepc works much better with the Array kernel (non-standard kernel shipped with eeebuntu but not standard Ubuntu), so your options are:

1) Keep using eeebuntu for 8.10 until eeebuntu for 9.04 is released. This might not happen for a few weeks yet.
2) Switch to using Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) for Jaunty (endorsed by Canonical unlike eeebuntu). See here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR.

I tried earlier versions of UNR and I like eeebuntu better, so I'm waiting for the next eeebuntu release.

billgoldberg
April 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Everything seems to work using Ubuntu 9.04 except the camera and multitouch on the touchpad.

GeorgeVita
April 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Everything seems to work using Ubuntu 9.04 except the camera and multitouch on the touchpad.

Go to BIOS SETUP: keep pressing F2 while booting
Enable camera from bios.
Save & exit

Retry it.

EVERYTHING is working to me EeePC 1000H (except 'standard desktop')

Regards,
George

NintendoTogepi
April 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Well, no multitouch is a dealbreaker. I'll stick with Eeebuntu 8.10.

billgoldberg
April 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I'm sure support can be hacked in, but haven't bothered yet as I use a mouse with it most of the time.

lefen
April 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM
In addition to the other issues people have mentioned, 9.04 RC1 didn't have support for most of the Fn keys on my EEE 901, (including the numpad, which I missed more than I thought I would). So I went back to EEEbuntu 2.0 for now and will probably investigate the 3.0 release rather than Jaunty NBR.

bobbocanfly
April 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Jaunty UNR (netbook remix) works fine out of the box for me on my Eee 701. There are some issues (outlined in the UNR release notes) of screen size where a lot of applications just don't fit on the tiny screen, but it's not much of a problem really.

zekopeko
April 25th, 2009, 11:19 AM
i have an asus 1000hg and it works perfectly.
take into account that a model like 1000h uses 3 different camera or wireless chipsets so some might not be supported depending which one you have.

btw what's this about multitouch? i know that 2 finger scroll works but i don't know if there is any other.

billgoldberg
April 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
i have an asus 1000hg and it works perfectly.
take into account that a model like 1000h uses 3 different camera or wireless chipsets so some might not be supported depending which one you have.

btw what's this about multitouch? i know that 2 finger scroll works but i don't know if there is any other.

Well I can't drag windows or highlight text, which both need both fingers to do.

RandomJoe
April 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I bought a 1000HE a few weeks ago, and all it's ever run is straight 9.04. Everything worked just fine straight up, that I tried. I've never even needed to plug in an Ethernet cable, which is quite impressive to me - all my previous laptops took "setting up" to get the wireless going. Can't say if the camera works as I didn't want it anyway and disabled it. This is the first time I've had a "multitouch" pad so don't know all the possible things it should do, but the ones I know about work just fine.

The only annoyance so far: When I first installed, suspend and hibernate worked perfectly. Somewhere along the way - I assume an update changed something - they broke. It still suspends/hibernates fine, but when I turn it back on the backlight won't come on. Most annoyingly, if I fumble around to find "shutdown" or "restart", the instant it starts shutting down the backlight comes on!

I ran 'powertop' on it recently, and found the Intel graphics driver was generating a slew of interrupts. As mentioned on the lesswatts.org site, disabling DRI (Option "NoDRI" in xorg.conf) let the processor sleep a lot more and improved run time some. Not like I need 3D on that little screen! :)

lefen
April 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Also, a 3 finger tap on the touchpad brings up the right-click context menu; so useful when you know it, but I had my EEE for about 2 months without realising :P

mister_pink
April 25th, 2009, 01:54 PM
901 here, tried the NBR live only, but everything seemed to work. Need to find an app to let me switch things off and scale the CPU for battery purposes. Will probably stick with 8.10 and openbox for the time being. Very happy with my almost 6 hrs battery life for light usage :)

aysiu
April 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm using vanilla Jaunty on my Eee PC 701, and almost everything works out of the box, except the mic with Skype (which you can fix by removing Pulse Audio and making a few setting changes).

701s don't support multi-touch.

GeorgeVita
April 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Also, a 3 finger tap on the touchpad brings up the right-click context menu; so useful when you know it, but I had my EEE for about 2 months without realising

OK, above works!

Three fingers = right click
Two fingers = scroll up or down

EDIT: deleted info regarding solved problems after reinstallation.

enchantedsky
April 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM

This is not true. Multi-touch works on my 1000HE:

Press 2 fingers together to scroll
Press 2 fingers on a link in Firefox to create a new tab
Press 3 fingers to right-click
etc

The only thing which does not work with multi-touch (and I actually miss) is pressing 3 fingers down, and drawing a line to the left is supposed to hit the back button in Firefox. It works with the pre-installed Win XP on 1000HE, but not Ubuntu 9.04 (as yet).

Anyway, overall the 1000HE works perfectly. The only minor bugs I've seen is that sometimes when you mute the volume, it makes a buzzing sound through the speakers (however, I haven't experienced it lately, so perhaps the bug was corrected).

dmorris68
April 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Just finished installing final UNR 9.04 on my 1000HE. Multi-touch and camera both work fine. What seems to be problematic is my wifi connection. I had tried a couple of Live versions of beta 9.04 UNR and had the same issue. I just kept trying and re-entering my PSK over and over and it eventually worked.

But so far this full install is being stubborn. I've re-entered the key several times, and even tried my fallback 802.11b AP with WEP security -- that failed too. The netbook can see the available networks, and the AP can see the client attempting to connect, but then the netbook disconnects itself complaining that it timed out waiting for a DHCP response. I even tried with a neighbor's unsecured router, and it failed at that too. So it doesn't appear to be security related.

zemz0r
April 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
eee-control know supports 1000he FN keys and more...

http://greg.geekmind.org/eee-control/

I don't know if "apt-get install eee-controll" is the newest version, however this app might sort out some problems for people.

Helmi
April 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
@zemzor - that's cool, does it also make multitouch working with 9.04? I'm planning to get a 1000HE and it will be worth nothing without ubuntu :)

JohnFH
April 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM
eee-control know supports 1000he FN keys and more...

http://greg.geekmind.org/eee-control/

I don't know if "apt-get install eee-controll" is the newest version, however this app might sort out some problems for people.

That link answers my biggest question. From the link:

For Ubuntu (8.04/8.10), the array.org customized kernel is recommended, which includes the module and hardware drivers.
Ubuntu 9.04 does not need a customized kernel anymore.

Thanks!

days_of_ruin
April 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
This is not true. Multi-touch works on my 1000HE:

Press 2 fingers together to scroll
Press 2 fingers on a link in Firefox to create a new tab
Press 3 fingers to right-click
etc

The only thing which does not work with multi-touch (and I actually miss) is pressing 3 fingers down, and drawing a line to the left is supposed to hit the back button in Firefox. It works with the pre-installed Win XP on 1000HE, but not Ubuntu 9.04 (as yet).

Anyway, overall the 1000HE works perfectly. The only minor bugs I've seen is that sometimes when you mute the volume, it makes a buzzing sound through the speakers (however, I haven't experienced it lately, so perhaps the bug was corrected).

Sounds like the fire gestures plugin. Did you try installing that?
Because right click drag left in firefox with plugin installed does just
what you are talking about.:)

Tha-Fox
April 29th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Has anyone tried 901? I have fully working (except multitouch) netbook right now but I'd like to return to "normal" Ubuntu and kernel.

Orlsend
April 29th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I am on 8.10 eeebuntu (on a 900HA), the guys over at the eeebuntu forums are waiting on that patch for the Intel graphics.... So far jaunty has done a bad job regarding that Issue.

Lol I cant believe I just learned about the Mulitouch in this thread, It work like a charm on my Install.

Deamos
April 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Running on a 1000HA and it runs perfectly out of the box. Haven't had an issue yet.

JohnFH
April 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Has anyone tried 901? I have fully working (except multitouch) netbook right now but I'd like to return to "normal" Ubuntu and kernel.

I have a 901 and am running Jaunty and standard kernel. Everything seems fine and very fast, although I haven't tested everything. I was running eeebuntu for 8.10 and then upgraded to Jaunty and installed the generic kernel (eeebuntu for Jaunty doesn't exist yet). Couldn't have been easier. Jaunty on eeepc boots extremely quickly - makes using the eeepc a lot more convenient.

Tha-Fox
April 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have a 901 and am running Jaunty and standard kernel. Everything seems fine and very fast, although I haven't tested everything. I was running eeebuntu for 8.10 and then upgraded to Jaunty and installed the generic kernel (eeebuntu for Jaunty doesn't exist yet). Couldn't have been easier. Jaunty on eeepc boots extremely quickly - makes using the eeepc a lot more convenient.

Thanks for the response! Now I have enough courage to update :)

JC Cheloven
May 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
Hi, I wrote recently a brief review about jaunty on three popular netbooks, including asus eee. I'd say the result is outstanding.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1123926

As an update: things are equally well after jaunty release.

NintendoTogepi
May 13th, 2009, 04:17 AM
So what is the conclusion here? Switch or not? :confused:

(I have a 900a)

Also how big is Jaunty? I have only a 4GB hard drive on my 900a.

drawkcab
May 13th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I have a 900a coming and I am going to replace the 4gb with a faster 16gb ssd.

One thing you might want to do is wait and install eeebuntu 3.0 which is based on jaunty features the array kernel and comes in 1) full 2) NBR an 3) base. Rumor has it that it will be available this weekend, possibly Friday.

Orlsend
May 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I tried Jaunty the other day and most of the features worked,except the the mouse the sensitive was way to high. The regular mouse settings would not help at all. Anyway the Guys over at eeebuntu will release Jaunteee this weekend! with all the fixes and the tweaks you need for a perfect desktop in EeePc.

drawkcab
May 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I tried Jaunty the other day and most of the features worked,except the the mouse the sensitive was way to high. The regular mouse settings would not help at all. Anyway the Guys over at eeebuntu will release Jaunteee this weekend! with all the fixes and the tweaks you need for a perfect desktop in EeePc.

And hopefully the intel video issue will be largely resolved! ;)