PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 9.04 on iMac Core 2 Duo

sahilsapre
April 24th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Alright, after experimenting with Ubuntu a few times, I've finally decided to install it as a full fledged primary OS on my iMac Core 2 Duo (2.4GHz) running OS X 10.5.6.
1. I tried the Live version of 9.04, which seemed to work okay, except that I couldn't figure out how to get my wireless internet to work. I found the networkmanager, which somehow failed to find my wifi. I assume this is because my AirPort card isn't working on Ubuntu. After a few Google searches, I got really confused as to which workaround I should use to get it to work. Help here would be greatly appreciated, as i HAVE to get my internet connection to work!

2. It seems that sound is also a problem with Ubuntu on the iMac. I didn't try this on the Live CD, but this seems to be the general opinion. Is there a fix for this?

3. The graphics card on my machine is ATI Radeon HD 2400. Is this supported?

4. Will I be able to access my Mac partition while on Ubuntu?

5. Lastly, should I follow the Boot Camp procedure to partition my hard disk and install Ubuntu instead of Windows, or should I follow this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Intel_iMac) official guide? The iMac models mentioned there doesn't list the one with my Graphics card.

Thanks a lot.