PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] jaunty overheating?

erqiyang
April 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I've just performed a clean install for my HP Pavilion dv2000 with 9.04 . Problem is, after installation, my harddisk got really really hot. It seems like there is unusually high amount of read/write.

Just wondering, if anyone else is having this problem too? And if there is any solution for it?

Btw, I am using ext4.

gertpozzo
April 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
The same thing happened to me, with an XPS 1530. The PC became so hot that it shutdown itself. However now it works well.

dE_logics
April 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
You can report a bug about this.

erqiyang
April 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Pardon me for being new, but how should I report it?

adrian.tuhut
May 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
this behavior is not a bug......trackerd daemon is indexing your files and that is why you see intense hdd activity...

Marvin666
May 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Is there a way you disable this indexing service, or is it needed for something in ubuntu?

alexandari
May 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM
yeah go to Menu System> Preferences> Indexing Preferences
then uncheck "Enable indexing" and "Enable watching"
I rly don`t know how much will this help but...I mean it didnt help me

NilsE
May 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I have noticed that trackerd daemon is indexing your files and will seem to be all the time but it actually stops being so intense after the first few boots when it finishes it's initial indexing. Then it is minimal.

So, that could be causing the drive to heat up but should settle down soon. If it does not then by all means shut of trackerd. The only problem that causes is a little slower searches but in my opinion it was minimal when I shut it off when I was on 8.10.

Marvin666
May 9th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I don't have the above option in my menu. I'm running xubuntu.

gianluca.pettinello
May 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I have a dv2000 laptop with ubuntu 9.04 ext 4 installed too and I noticed, after some upgrading that the hd is overheating. I don't have tracker enabled. Besides my battery lasts 1 hour or a bit more. It is frustrating !!:confused:

dsiddens
May 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM
HP d8000 AMD64 here.
According to System Monitor Processes, trackerd is consuming between 0 and 1 % on my system. (I have it set low.)

I do not believe this overheating is caused by tracker, dust in the cooling circuit, intense video applications...

This machine did not over heat with Intrepid.

Doug

junalmeida
May 18th, 2009, 01:50 AM
After upgrading here from Intrepid to Jaunty, my tx2110 goes over 90oC and shuts down when i'm using some application that needs intense processor activity.

Everything works fine on Intrepid with the same applications...

salamay
May 18th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I had this crazy overheating issue when i upgraded from intrepid to jaunty.
After spending so much time i figured that google gadgets (ggl-gtk) was using 50% of the cpu continuously. After quitting ggl-gtk - temps dropped from 85C to 45C. whooooops! what a relief.
you might try doing so if you have ggl-gtk running.

skintythe1andonly
May 29th, 2009, 12:50 AM
i have noticed my temperature to have risen too with my upgrate. I am also using a dv2000. I initially thought it was the GPU (nvidia geforce 6150 go) but now suspecting the hdd. battery time is down too

ssri
May 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM
After upgrading here from Intrepid to Jaunty, my tx2110 goes over 90oC and shuts down when i'm using some application that needs intense processor activity.

Everything works fine on Intrepid with the same applications...

Fire up the terminal and..

~$top

See which programs are hogging your CPU.

spiceminesofkessel
May 29th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I have a PowerBook G4 1.0GHz running Jaunty PPC edition that does the same thing. I unpacked an archive file and it shut down in a hurry. I nearly burned my hand when I touched the bottom of the laptop.

skintythe1andonly
May 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM
when I run hddtemp, it says that there is no temperature sensor for my hard drive. Is this the case for anybody else here specifically the ones with the hp laptops?

or is this a ext4 problem?

skintythe1andonly
May 29th, 2009, 01:03 PM
So I have done some looking around and contrary to what hddtemp is saying about my hard drive not having a temperature sensor, my hard drive does according to http://www.almico.com/forumharddisks.php?man=65

This may be the problem, is hddtemp working for anyone else?

jimblandy
June 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
I found that running compat-wireless (as suggested on the Intrepid MacBook Pro 3.1 page (http://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro3-1/Intrepid), say) caused my laptop to run hot, and occasionally freeze. As I said on that page:

You should be aware that bleeding-edge kernel code hasn't had much testing, and bugs in it can do almost arbitrarily bad things to your system [...]. Try it if you like, but suspect your riskiest move first if troubles arise.

abhiroopb
June 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
My laptop (HP DV5242ea) kept switching off with and I wasn't sure why. It turns out my HD temp kept rising to about 60C!!! And this is beyond the standard operating temp. I have a WDC WD3200BEVT hard drive.

It has only started overheating recently. Does anyone have any tips? My CPU usage does not seem unusually high. Any suggestions?

pamazon
June 4th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I have two different laptops overheating on jaunty. I had no problems with intrepid or fiesty on the same machines. I can boot into windows and they stays cool.

It gets hot enough to burn even when the labtop is closed.

They are ext3 installs.

Has anyone had any success or do I have to downgrade? That would be so annoying.

there is a bug reported, but it's incomplete.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/375285

abhiroopb
June 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I have collated all the various posts regarding this overheating issue into one ubuntuforums post...please help advise there...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7399158#post7399158