PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New UpGrade.. 9.04 Takes 41 + hours

kibster
April 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I was informed yesterday that a upgrade was available . The New 9.04
Ubuntu But while I was down loading it I saw that the estimated time was 41 + hours. I'm going to try again over the weekend...perhaps the servers were busy.. Or maybe one or more were having problems.

Silly I know..

Russ

Sef
April 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Yes the servers are rather busy now. If you want, click to download the torrents (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt).

barney385
April 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM
LOL

Yeah, I downloaded .iso from Latvia!!!

(but don't tell anyone)

kibster
April 25th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Well I tried it..and was still busy. I guess I'll have to wait and get when the servers arent busy.

Do you see any difference in it. ?

Russ

hman1169
April 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I got into the network problems too, but then it timed out and gave me an error about not being able to get some of the packages.

That update was going smooth until the network died, but now when I try to run an update as it is Setting New Software Channels, it stops and gives the following error.

W:Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
, W:Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instea

Any suggestions?

I upgraded a friends computer first and it worked great. Then when I got home it started to work, then died and now I am stuck...

I downloaded the .iso image, burned it to a CD but I am not prompted for an upgrade, only and install... Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

kibster
April 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Wow.. Not a clue ! I'm new to Linux myself ..So I'm not much on how they run there installs.

Maybe one of the other guys here give you a hand...

I've so many times to get it ....it ant' even funny ..Frustrating.

Keep the faith...

Russ

vijaym
April 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
check if got the alternate CD. That is the way to upgrade. The live CD tends to want to install from scratch

kibster
April 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Dont have it.. But good place to check...

hman1169
April 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Funny what you can find if you know what your looking for... THANK YOU! Downloading ALTERNATE now...

I will let you know the result. I think it will be flawless...

I didn't find a direct link to the "alternate" CD/DVD iso download, but it didn't take too much hunting to find it. For me, MIT proves to be the fastest download. gonna take about 10 minutes...

I will post the results tomorrow. Thanks all!

Chris

hman1169
April 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Alternate worked, now I only have to go through and re-install my NVidia Drivers... I dont' know why I bought that crappy graphics card.

kibster
April 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I finally got it ... took one hell of a long time getting it though.. slow...but got it.. only problem I had was my Flash player wasnt working ...got that worked out thru the help of others in this forum.

Thanks to all for there help...And advice.

Russ