PDA

View Full Version : Where's all the "9.04 is the worst version ever!" threads?

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM
By this time, after a release there's usually 10 threads about how xx version is the worst yet. What happened?

Sand & Mercury
April 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Give it time, they'll get there.

.Maleficus.
April 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
By this time, after a release there's usually 10 threads about how xx version is the worst yet. What happened?
Whoops, sorry, forgot about that. I'll get right on it.

Flyingjester
April 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
maybe this one is the epitome of what people want? *eyes brighten in hope* nah... that can't be it... i'd say people are spacing out the downloads a bit... wait a week :P

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah, where are all the 'Bloat' and 'Soooo much slower than Intrepid' people ? I miss you!

bobbob1016
April 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Found one person complaining about the theme... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7131994#post7131994

But I am surprised that I have yet to have a problem with Jaunty (knock on wood). Apart from the restricted drivers taking a while to download because the servers are being stressed.

bobbocanfly
April 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Jaunty is just so awesome that noone has had a problem? Hardly likely to be honest, but you never know. Or maybe it is so bad that it has completely destroyed peoples computers, so bad in fact that people cannot even get onto the Internet to make "Jaunty SUCKS OMGZ" threads?

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Found one person complaining about the theme... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7131994#post7131994

But I am surprised that I have yet to have a problem with Jaunty (knock on wood). Apart from the restricted drivers taking a while to download because the servers are being stressed.

I still can't figure out why they didn't use the new wave theme as default.

koenn
April 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Jaunty is just so awesome that noone has had a problem? Hardly likely to be honest, but you never know. Or maybe it is so bad that it has completely destroyed peoples computers, so bad in fact that people cannot even get onto the Internet to make "Jaunty SUCKS OMGZ" threads?

... or they're still waiting for their downloads to finish ?

Icehuck
April 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
WORST EVER!

Seriously!

:P

PS. I hate Intel Graphics.

cmay
April 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
i saw one in the Danish ubuntu forums just today. it apparently crashed right after boot up.
i am going to upgrade from the net one of these days.

i was running the testning version for some time and i think it was ok looking. also the default theme :)

calrogman
April 24th, 2009, 03:27 PM
PS. I hate Intel Graphics.

Yeah, I found out my graphics chip (Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller) was blacklisted because it made X crash on one occasion, in unison, all around the world (apparently) due to a bug which didn't affect me in any way.

Now I have crappy looking notifications!

Thanks guys.

:-x

frup
April 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
It's working great for me, with intel based laptop.

:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 0a)
03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 05)
03:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

Icehuck
April 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
It's working great for me, with intel based laptop.

From what I can tell most of the problems are based around the 965 chipset which you don't have.

perspectoff
April 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Microsoft needs all its bloggers (the ones that make a living attacking Linux) to figure out how to hype Windows 7.

Check back when they aren't so busy trying to figure that out.

"I am Linux:

As a child I used Windows. Seems I could get all kinds of flashing random patterns on my screen by hitting a few keys.

Later I actually wanted to get stuff done, and found out about Linux."

quazi
April 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM

For me, every release has gotten progressively better and Jaunty takes this to the extreme. Much faster booting coupled with my audio working fully for the first time makes it an easy winner.

SomeGuyDude
April 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe not enough really changed this time? When I fiddled with Jaunty it felt like a polished and sleek Intrepid, but far as I know there weren't enough major alterations under the hood to cause breakages like other releases.

will1911a1
April 24th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Must be a pretty good release. ;)

igknighted
April 24th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Intel is in flux... there's a thread in multimedia/video to help upgrade to all the newest stuff (lots of bug fixes & improvements from the Jaunty version) which might help you. Overall though, I'm very pleased with DRI2/UXA, so for me Jaunty's intel drivers have been a step forward.

pbpersson
April 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Or maybe it is so bad that it has completely destroyed peoples computers, so bad in fact that people cannot even get onto the Internet to make "Jaunty SUCKS OMGZ" threads?

:lolflag:

I am typing from Jaunty now. Thus far I am quite impressed.

bobbocanfly
April 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
For me, every release has gotten progressively better and Jaunty takes this to the extreme. Much faster booting coupled with my audio working fully for the first time makes it an easy winner.

I'd have to agree with this. Jaunty is definitely the best release for me so far. Main desktop works almost perfectly (a few bugs here and there, but no real problems that will get in the way), my Eee PC I think is being hit by the Intel performance bug, but boots so quickly with ext4 that I don't really care. My sisters laptop (HP MiniNote 2133) also works brilliantly. Boots very quickly and wireless works as soon as you get the auto detected proprietary wireless driver. All that, along with sound working almost perfectly plus the great looking new notifications and everything, creates a brilliant distro.

Ubuntu is seriously getting close to "it just works" status on most hardware and with each new release, the installation/setup process just gets that little bit nicer and a little bit more user friendly. Very, very impressed!

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
It is fast. Pure fast.

Polygon
April 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM
i get random kernel lockups
notify-osd is a step backwards
removing the old update manager behavior is a step backwards
indicator applet in its current state is useless
the new kernel completely breaks wireless for my laptop, making it so i can't connect to the internet

EDIT: oh yeah, it shipped with a broken version of VLC (the player controls and the video output are two separate windows). Might as well of shipped a broken firefox while you at it.

there you go.

x3roconf
April 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Jaunty sucks totally. I installed it yesterday and i had many issues with it. The only good thing is faster boot time.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Jaunty sucks totally. I installed it yesterday and i had many issues with it. The only good thing is faster boot time.

Care to elaborate a little. Things like "it sucked" could mean you didn't like one of the icons, or something.

ZankerH
April 24th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I don't even bother criticising the default theme any more, I've most regretfully resigned to the fact that it will forever resemble the colour of vomit it induces.
However, as I've decided to switch all of my ubuntu partitions to ext4 for jaunty, my /home has been deleted, and along with it, my non-vomit inducing theme setup, so I'd just like to take this opportunity to again point out that the default theme is still disgusting as ever.

And my Arch install has been booting faster than this "performance and optimisation oriented" release for as long as I can remember.
Now, I'm not saying this is the worst release ever, not by far, but, the large majority of the praise is, as has always been the case with ubuntu, not in order.

Almighty
April 24th, 2009, 04:57 PM
the new kernel completely breaks wireless for my laptop, making it so i can't connect to the internet

EDIT: oh yeah, it shipped with a broken version of VLC (the player controls and the video output are two separate windows). Might as well of shipped a broken firefox while you at it.

there you go.
I completely agree with you.

I have been an Ubuntu fan for quite a long time. Actually now that I think of it, I've been using Ubuntu since 4.10. I don't know if it's me expecting too much, but 9.04 is nice...just not all that wonderful.

If someone can get my 3 monitors working then I may change my tune.

If someone can make notify-osd less annoying then I may be happier.

I really want to learn C++ so I can be part of the solution and not just complain about things. Unfortunately that's not an option for me right now.

So in conclusion: 9.04 is nice, but it's not "there" yet. I feel as though Ubuntu 10.10 will rock peoples faces off given the current pace of development.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
And my Arch install has been booting faster than this "performance and optimisation oriented" release for as long as I can remember.
Now, I'm not saying this is the worst release ever, not by far, but, the large majority of the praise is, as has always been the case with ubuntu, not in order.

Someone that started using Linux today, would not be able to install Arch, so if we gave 100 people Ubuntu, and Arch Cds, that have never used Linux. Which do you think would be there favorite? All this post did was make you the winner. Ding ding ding!

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
T_T always with the theme. Yeah Debian has better themes too. The default Ubuntu default colors make it stand out. It says "Hey this is Ubuntu". They are warm colors, and I think it is not puke colored. If your biggest problem is with the default color scheme then back off. As for performance, no perhaps it is not Arch, but I know it boots faster for me than Fedora and SUSE. It seems speedier than ever, and did not overdo anything. As for notify-osd, at least it is a change, in the future it may improve greatly. I think I would be hard pressed to get any real speed gains using any other system. Defining speed as logging in and actually getting anything done. Also, it was fast like this by default, and with a click next, click next, click finish installer, so that means my grandma can set it up herself. I think this release is worth of appreciation, and though I approve of criticism, please complain about something that is actually a problem. (Multiple screens is a good one). Comparing Ubuntu to arch is like comparing KDE to icewm. (Well sort of.)

This ranty post is not an attack, so please forgive me if it comes off like that.

sydbat
April 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I have no idea why people complain about the default theme.

I have yet to show Ubuntu to someone and have them NOT say "WOW, I LIKE the way it looks! So much nicer/prettier/better than Windows".

Personally, I think it is just because people have to complain about something, and when there is nothing else to complain about, the theme becomes the target...my $.00002...

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I like the theme, it matches Jaunty wallpaper well, good contrasts.

Also Dust theme include is excellent.

LightB
April 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I am burning it now, don't know if I'll install it on my home PC, though. I might install it at the computer lab currently running 8.04, or I might just wait for the next LTS. It is very difficult to put together new linux software and have 100% of it play together nicely at all times. It almost never does.

Kareeser
April 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM

there you go.

notify-osd and update-manager changes are just that - changes. You'll get used to them, and if you don't want to, you can change them back. Nobody's forcing you to use them.

Next, the VLC XVideo output issue has been resolved, but was not included in time for the freeze. You can install version 1.0, which fixes the issue.

ZarathustraDK
April 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM
No serious gripes about the release from here.

Wishes for the future:

- padevchooser should be integrated somehow by default. I'm on a setup where I change a lot between USB-headphones and speakers, so it's kind of a bother to have to locate another program just in order to throw the sound to another device. Padevchooser is awesome btw.

- I wish the Gnome and Compiz-fusion crews would have regular social gatherings/binge-drinking-parties together.

- I want more Ubuntu-tans (Anime-artists I'm looking at you).

- I want an awesome VDPAU-enabled mediaplayer that just says "Hey, you got an Nvidia-graphics-card, I'll use THAT to play movies for you!". Yeah, I know they do exist out there, but somehow I always manage to mess up the compiling.

- I want Songbird as default musicplayer.

arashiko28
April 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
It's the greatest version ever!!!!

The installation came complete in 10 minutes, everything seems to work out of the box, right now I'm installing the codecs to test audio and video to the extreme but so far, so good.

When talking about special effect from compiz fusion, they work out of the box with no twitching and the movements like in water effect are so much live, not to mention the fire effect.

With a 15 seconds boot and a 6 seconds account-ready to use, I'm in heaven!!!

I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it!

P.S: Intel graphics card

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I have no idea why people complain about the default theme.

I have yet to show Ubuntu to someone and have them NOT say "WOW, I LIKE the way it looks! So much nicer/prettier/better than Windows".

Nor have I seen anyone use a default theme, for more than a few days anyways, unless they're using a mac, of course.

ZankerH
April 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Also, the as of yet unresolved issues with compiz and vsync, further compounded by the use of multiple monitors.

As for the comment about user friendliness compared to Arch, I've had jaunty installed for two days now, and to get it to work the way I want it, I've had to manually compile six packages, install several others from custom repositories, and edit xorg.conf by hand to get it to both properly recognise my three-monitor set up and set it up to work with gnome the way I want it - the supposedly user-friendly graphic configuration utilities could only manage one of these, poorly.
Even if they were properly developed - which they aren't - there simply aren't any advantages to using graphical configuration tools over config text files with proper documentation.

Anyone new to Linux would be much better off with Arch, provided they know how to read and follow simple instructions, and are willing to learn. And frankly, people who don't fit these rudimentary criteria just aren't needed in the Linux community and shouldn't be bothered with.

arashiko28
April 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Nor have I seen anyone use a default theme, for more than a few days anyways, unless they're using a mac, of course.

Not even for the first second, as it gave me the option or migrating my account from 8.10 to 9.04, it started up with my wallpaper and emerald decoration I had. I only saw the default theme while on live CD and I liked it.

RiceMonster
April 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Well I have an Intel card, so I'm ify about trying Jaunty. Good to hear they sped it up though, because The boot times on Hardy and Intrepid were starting to drive me nuts (especially since I'm extremely impatient).

phrostbyte
April 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I've seen complaints about

- Certain Intel video cards and Jaunty seem to have performance issues
- Notify-OSD, some people liked the old behavior, but IMO the old behavior was pretty terrible

lukjad
April 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM

<.<
>.>

*whispering* Quiet you fool! You'll wake up the trolls!

Therion
April 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I'd like to help out but I'll be danged if Jaunty isn't about the best thing since sliced bread.

That's right... SLICED.

entr3p
April 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNul-ZJPK9s

There's one.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM

There's one.

That guy is scary looking :twisted:

sydbat
April 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Nor have I seen anyone use a default theme, for more than a few days anyways, unless they're using a mac, of course.True. Still...

There's one.

That guy is scary looking :twisted:Purrrty ains't he...

wolfen69
April 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM

buy a real computer. any computer that won't run ubuntu isn't worth my time.

look at it this way, you can take this opportunity to get to know mr. gates. you know you miss him. :wink:

Mehall
April 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
buy a real computer. any computer that won't run ubuntu isn't worth my time.

look at it this way, you can take this opportunity to get to know mr. gates. you know you miss him. :wink:

You gonna gimme the cash to buy a new computer?

Oh, and I have a computer that Ubuntu won't run on, because ubuntu doesn;t support my Wifi card, not even with ndiswrapper. Arch worked just fine ;)

I'm an Ubunut user (well... Crunchbang generally) but saying things like that is immensely pig-headed.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
You gonna gimme the cash to buy a new computer?

Oh, and I have a computer that Ubuntu won't run on, because ubuntu doesn;t support my Wifi card, not even with ndiswrapper. Arch worked just fine ;)

I'm an Ubunut user (well... Crunchbang generally) but saying things like that is immensely pig-headed.

Any wifi card that works in arch will work in Ubuntu, that makes no sense. Anyways someone already won the Arch contest for this thread, there's no runner-ups.

ghindo
April 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I love Jaunty, much more than any other previous Ubuntu release. My only qualm is the Intel graphics problem, but that will be fixed in further updates, right?

Right? :(

Mehall
April 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Any wifi card that works in arch will work in Ubuntu, that makes no sense. Anyways someone already won the Arch contest for this thread, there's no runner-ups.

Nope, fraid not. It's an Ubuntu regression in ndiswrapper (sorry, forgot to mention it was an ndiswrapper driver I had to use to get it to work at all)

Dunno if Debian is affected or if it's just Ubuntu and derivs from it, but Arch is unaffected.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Nope, fraid not. It's an Ubuntu regression in ndiswrapper (sorry, forgot to mention it was an ndiswrapper driver I had to use to get it to work at all)

Dunno if Debian is affected or if it's just Ubuntu and derivs from it, but Arch is unaffected.

Couldn't you just install a different version of ndiswrapper?

Mehall
April 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Couldn't you just install a different version of ndiswrapper?

And you think I didn't try that?

I did everything I could to get it to work, and it wouldn't.

/thread-jack

wolfen69
April 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM
but saying things like that is immensely pig-headed.
it's just the truth. if you were a windows user, would you buy a computer that wouldn't run it?

i use ubuntu. if a computer won't run it properly, i get another computer. end of story. i guess it's more important to me than others.

wolfen69
April 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM

/thread-jack

how important is it to you to run ubuntu? if it is important, get a new wireless card. problem solved.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM

/thread-jack

Seems like a very odd problem. Did you file a bug report?

FuturePilot
April 24th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Give it another week. They'll show up, trust me.

Mehall
April 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM
how important is it to you to run ubuntu? if it is important, get a new wireless card. problem solved.

Cash?

I was unemployed till of late. Now, I have a minimum wage job, my parents take dig money, and about half my wages goes just on getting to work again.

I'm fine running Arch for now (I could've picked any distro, I had just been meaning t try Arch given the buzz about it)

@swoll1980: There's a bug report for the card not working, IIRC. I think I subscribed, but it's probably getting ignored, as do all bugs I ever have it seems. I'll chase it up soon.

kelean
April 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM
i liked jaunty just fine except for the intel driver problem. Full screen video was very choppy and used a huge amount of memory. I tried the fix thats in the forum and it worked very well except that it made my machine very unstable.

So I will have to wait until that gets sorted out before I try it again.

Kelean

Polygon
April 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
notify-osd and update-manager changes are just that - changes. You'll get used to them, and if you don't want to, you can change them back. Nobody's forcing you to use them.

Next, the VLC XVideo output issue has been resolved, but was not included in time for the freeze. You can install version 1.0, which fixes the issue.

sure it has been resolved, but they will not release version 1.0 through the repos because it goes against their policy, so every jaunty user gets to experience a nice broken vlc, unless they find the PPA that lets the upgrade to vlc 1.0, which i imagine a lot of people won't find.

and no, notify-osd is a regression. Sure it looks nice, but they have basically stripped all of the features out of it, broken a lot of applications (kerneloops is one, it keeps asking to push a button which isnt there) and are forcing choices on developers and users (like you no longer get to choose where the notifications show up on your screen). See this for more information: http://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2009/04/notification-disappointment-in-ubuntu.html

and update manager, why they changed the behavior is beyond me. I have seen no reason for this change. Even people on the launchpad discussion said now this has made it much harder for the computer illiterate, as they had trained them to look for the red arrow / orange star, now you have to wait LONGER to get an update (it checks weekly now) and it pops up randomly in the middle of whatever you were doing (like mac os x) which is HIGHLY annoying. I am pretty sure the consensus is that people would rather have a icon saying 'hey there is update for when you have time' rather then HEY UPDATE NOW and disturbing their workflow, and if they close it, there is no reminder or icon telling you there are updates available, so its a greater chance that updates won't install.

and indicator applet: it flashes when someone sends me a message in pidgin. Guess what....the pidgin tray icon does that too. Waste of panel space at the moment.

Notify osd and indicator applet are no where near ready, and now people have to deal with them for 6 months (unless they uninstall them). I can accept change if its a step in the right direction, but other then the pretty alpha effects, notify osd has removed features, and indicator applet does nothing. Not all change is good.

phrostbyte
April 24th, 2009, 07:45 PM
sure it has been resolved, but they will not release version 1.0 through the repos because it goes against their policy, so every jaunty user gets to experience a nice broken vlc, unless they find the PPA that lets the upgrade to vlc 1.0, which i imagine a lot of people won't find.

and no, notify-osd is a regression. Sure it looks nice, but they have basically stripped all of the features out of it, broken a lot of applications (kerneloops is one, it keeps asking to push a button which isnt there) and are forcing choices on developers and users (like you no longer get to choose where the notifications show up on your screen). See this for more information: http://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2009/04/notification-disappointment-in-ubuntu.html

and update manager, why they changed the behavior is beyond me. I have seen no reason for this change. Even people on the launchpad discussion said now this has made it much harder for the computer illiterate, as they had trained them to look for the red arrow / orange star, now you have to wait LONGER to get an update (it checks weekly now) and it pops up randomly in the middle of whatever you were doing (like mac os x) which is HIGHLY annoying. I am pretty sure the consensus is that people would rather have a icon saying 'hey there is update for when you have time' rather then HEY UPDATE NOW and disturbing their workflow, and if they close it, there is no reminder or icon telling you there are updates available, so its a greater chance that updates won't install.

and indicator applet: it flashes when someone sends me a message in pidgin. Guess what....the pidgin tray icon does that too. Waste of panel space at the moment.

Notify osd and indicator applet are no where near ready, and now people have to deal with them for 6 months (unless they uninstall them). I can accept change if its a step in the right direction, but other then the pretty alpha effects, notify osd has removed features, and indicator applet does nothing. Not all change is good.

What Notify-OSD did that I think was a great improvement was get rid of "notification clutter", especially on login it's possible to get like 3-4 notifications at the same exact time when you login. It makes them pretty much pointless in what they are suppose to do.

JK3mp
April 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Wow...can't say i've ever heard of someone having more issue's in ubuntu than in Arch. Usually Arch takes alot more "figuring out".

Mehall
April 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Wow...can't say i've ever heard of someone having more issue's in ubuntu than in Arch. Usually Arch takes alot more "figuring out".

In fairness, when I tried to put kde-mod on it, I couldn't get x to start properly, and just removed it.

but I don't need a gui on that box, and didn't really try anything at all to fix the issue, I just removed the graphical stuff again.

Depressed Man
April 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I would say it's the worst since it likely won't work on my laptop since it has an Intel card lol. But I haven't tried (but I do have a similar video card to those reporting troubling issues).

Guess I'll get around to trying a LiveCD to see if I'm affected.

Bezmotivnik
April 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Where's all the "9.04 is the worst version ever!" threads?
Those are newbie-concept posts.

I've been fooling around with Ubuntu forever and the way it works is that if v.X works great for you, then v.X+1 will work horribly.

If v.X works horribly for you, then v.X+1 will work great.

It's absolutely eerie how predictable this is.

9.04 has worked just according to the above plan. The box on which I really need it -- an old, pre-64 Sempron I want to use as a P2P server -- seems to love it. 8.10 absolutely would not load on it.

On my new 3-Core AMD studio box, on which I have no intention of loading Linux, the 64 version won't run. 8.10 64 worked fine.

So...9.04 has worked out for me so far.

rajeev1204
April 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM

there you go.

I agree to all of your points.These non LTS versions are getting too experimental.

Indicator applet lols. nice joke they played on us.What exactly does it indicate? When i click on it ,it says pidgin messenger.Ya so?What do i do with that?

Isnt the notification area supposed to be what the indicator applet is??

ZarathustraDK
April 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/24/141241&from=rss

Sure, the article itself probably sucks (never read it, but read the comments on it ;) ), but I just love the /. comments. Anyone who knows Slashdot knows the tone there (hint, it's bounds and miles from ubuntuforums, but in a snarky sarcastic geeky way), yet the comments seem to be pretty well mannered this way around, I'm utterly surprised :P .

FraggedLocust
April 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm just waiting for the Karmic Alpha release, which should be a nice pre-birthday present. And then I'll complain about that. I'll do some real scrutinizing this time around instead of just being in awe. :)

And if people are having such a hard time with the way the OS is, learn a language and write code for it! :P

LightB
April 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Well I tried out 9.04 and I have to say it is a better release than the previous two. In particular if you have certain ati cards, the free driver now works at least as well as the intel one. Of course, no real usable 3d, but what do you want. The bootup speed is very fast, and I thought fedora 10 was fast; this is faster. Sure to vary depending on your machine but this is my experience on certain less-than-new machines.

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
<.<
>.>

*whispering* Quiet you fool! You'll wake up the trolls!

Already one in here, but being ignored for the most part. Way to go members! ;)

jfloydb
April 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I, of course, am new to Linux of any sort. I've fooled around with Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 on my acer Aspire One, only to give up and un-install in frustration. But I like the Ubuntu philosophy, so I had to try 9.04. I've been using/testing 9.04 for more than an hour now, and, so far, everything (and I mean everything) works like a dream! That is a first! I love Ubuntu!... (I'll let you know if anything changes)

kartoffsky
May 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Well... somewhere around half the laptops out there have Intel graphics chips built in, so I'm guessing about half the poor sods out there who "upgraded" from 8.10 are now unable to watch full screen flash video. Which is the other thing they want to do besides web surfing.

They'll probably get around to posting "9.04 is the worst version ever" after figuring out how to roll back changes they made to xorg.conf at the urging of some half-informed forum expert. That or rooting around under the sofa cushions, hoping they dig up $89 for Windows XP so they can at least watch 30 Rock on Hulu in full screen as they eat the last ramen out the back of the cupboard.

Seriously. A release that renders half its installation base unworkable for preferred applications in is hardly a candidate for "best thing since the Foreman Grill," now is it?

stwschool
May 2nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
kartoffsky, far as I'm aware that's a problem with x.org which will affect any distro using more recent versions of stuff. Essentially it's the problem of early adoption. The problem for ATI users appears bigger, as ATI have basically told their customers to forget it if their card's old.

Ubuntu probably took a gamble that the ecosystem around xorg would be complete upon release but I think it backfired in this case. It's something that could easily bite Canonical on the butt if world domination is their aim.

Thing is, this was known about all through testing, there should have been an alt plan in place, or the option of 2 downloads, one with the latest xorg (for NVidia and newer ATI users) and one with an older one which would be more compatible with graphics hardware (though obviously I'm not an expert so maybe the process is a little more complex than that).

I do hope that this situation matures somewhat for 9.10 or that the open source intel and ati drivers make considerable improvement in that time!

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
kartoffsky, far as I'm aware that's a problem with x.org which will affect any distro using more recent versions of stuff. Essentially it's the problem of early adoption. The problem for ATI users appears bigger, as ATI have basically told their customers to forget it if their card's old.

Ubuntu probably took a gamble that the ecosystem around xorg would be complete upon release but I think it backfired in this case. It's something that could easily bite Canonical on the butt if world domination is their aim.

Thing is, this was known about all through testing, there should have been an alt plan in place, or the option of 2 downloads, one with the latest xorg (for NVidia and newer ATI users) and one with an older one which would be more compatible with graphics hardware (though obviously I'm not an expert so maybe the process is a little more complex than that).

I do hope that this situation matures somewhat for 9.10 or that the open source intel and ati drivers make considerable improvement in that time!

I don't understand why these distro would switch to the new xorg if it had such huge problems still, or any software for that matter. The adoption of KDE 4.0 for many distros, seemed like a really stupid thing to do.

stwschool
May 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I don't understand why these distro would switch to the new xorg if it had such huge problems still, or any software for that matter. The adoption of KDE 4.0 for many distros, seemed like a really stupid thing to do.
It's the difference I think between the more obsessively 'stable' distros like debian and red hat, and the more bleeding-edge stuff like ubuntu and fedora.

Spiritous
May 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well... somewhere around half the laptops out there have Intel graphics chips built in, so I'm guessing about half the poor sods out there who "upgraded" from 8.10 are now unable to watch full screen flash video. Which is the other thing they want to do besides web surfing.

They'll probably get around to posting "9.04 is the worst version ever" after figuring out how to roll back changes they made to xorg.conf at the urging of some half-informed forum expert. That or rooting around under the sofa cushions, hoping they dig up $89 for Windows XP so they can at least watch 30 Rock on Hulu in full screen as they eat the last ramen out the back of the cupboard.

Seriously. A release that renders half its installation base unworkable for preferred applications in is hardly a candidate for "best thing since the Foreman Grill," now is it?

can haz munee? smal donashions r hlpful :))

juancarlospaco
May 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
The Fast and Furius Jackalope!
fear that bunny...

Orlsend
May 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I am using it and sadly I Have that Intel bug, I am just waiting for the new kernel.

The Sound beep at shutdown and the disable of the CTRL-ALT-Backspace are a total no brainer.

Though the boot time is nice.

rfurman24
May 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Probably because this release actually works as opposed to the last three that were very buggy. This one is actually better that Feisty.