PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partial Upgrade warning persistent after upgrade to 9.04

rockfx01
April 24th, 2009, 02:42 PM
After performing the upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04, whenever I open update manager I receive a warning stating "Not all updates can be installed."

If I click [Close], I see "liblucene2-java" greyed out in the Distribution updates list.

If I click [Partial Update], it tries to do an upgrade. In the upgrade list it wants to change the following packages:

Remove libdb4.5-java
Install libdb4.6-java
Install libdb4.6-java-gcj
Upgrade liblucene2-java

I click [Start Upgrade] and the upgrade seems to fail - the upgrade window closes at some point and no final confirmation is ever displayed saying the installation completed successfully.

The "Not all updates" warning keeps popping up because the upgrade does not succeed.

toontastic
April 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
After performing the upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04, whenever I open update manager I receive a warning stating "Not all updates can be installed."

If I click [Close], I see "liblucene2-java" greyed out in the Distribution updates list.

If I click [Partial Update], it tries to do an upgrade. In the upgrade list it wants to change the following packages:

Remove libdb4.5-java
Install libdb4.6-java
Install libdb4.6-java-gcj
Upgrade liblucene2-java

I click [Start Upgrade] and the upgrade seems to fail - the upgrade window closes at some point and no final confirmation is ever displayed saying the installation completed successfully.

The "Not all updates" warning keeps popping up because the upgrade does not succeed.

Can't help I'm afraid but I'm having the exact same problem with the same packages actually so any help gratefully received.

toontastic
April 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Actually going into terminal and typing

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Seems to fix this.

rockfx01
April 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yep, that worked, thanks!

Must be something wrong with the graphical partial updater.

freakyhash
April 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
thanks worked for me too....

Lachinchon
April 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Toontastic, you da man! Worked for me, too.

bigger.tigger
April 26th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I experienced this issue too.

It appears that the upgrade manager was confused because I had already upgraded to Java 6 on my old (Intrepid) distro. Java 6 isn't part of the standard build, so it's not too surprising that Ubuntu reported an error.

The 'sudo apt-get...' worked for me too - thanks for the fix.

MikeB007
April 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I've had a similar experience however I get the following error:

Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg-query: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 39536 package `libisccfg30':
field name `
exim4-config.postinst: [WARN] Installed debconf version is broken. Aborting preconfigure.
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 39536 package `libisccfg30':
field name `
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 39536 package `libisccfg30':
field name `
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Cheers.

dewbuntu
April 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
This worked for me too! Ran the upgrade to 9.04 last night and this morning I was getting the exact same error with the partial upgrade warning.

BTW, other than this minor issue, everything is working great, have not found any issues with installed applications.

D

dfrado
April 27th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the solution toontastic! Much appreciated! :)

MikeB007
April 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
From my last post it seemed the file was corrupted. So:

ran 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' which cleared the 'available' file;
ran 'sudo aptitude dist-upgrade'

The upgrade proceeded as expected ... well longer than I expected but I have several third party apps so .... HTH

ComputerExpertVK
April 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Thank you!
This helped a lot!

BlueZED
April 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Hi there,

I had the same problem but unfortunately none of the solutions here worked for me.
So I did some digging and when I tried to Fix broken Packages in Synaptic I got this error:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libsox-fmt-base_14.2.0-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/sox/libsox_fmt_sndfile.so', which is also in package
libsox-fmt-sndfileI then manually removed libsox_fmt_sndfile.so using

sudo dpkg -r libsox_fmt_sndfile.soThat solved it for me.

Hope it helps someone else too.

Digital Magi
April 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Actually going into terminal and typing

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Seems to fix this.
Thanks for the help, your advice was just the thinkg to fix my install.

wimpelmeesje
May 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
toontastic's fix worked for me, thanks!

3mpy
May 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Nice! Thank yo very much!