PDA

View Full Version : why doesn't jaunty use ext4?

daverich
April 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I've done a clean install and jaunty seems to default to ext3?

I thought it was supposed to use ext4?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Kind regards

Dave Rich

You can choose ext4, but it's not the default. They wanted more testing, and some issues to be resolved before they make it the default.

4th guy
April 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Kind regards

Dave Rich
It's there, just not selected by default.

JohnFH
April 24th, 2009, 01:38 PM
You've answered your own question. Jaunty 'defaults' to use ext3 but you can choose to use ext4 if you want. Just choose manual partition at install time.

reprobus
April 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
From what I have heard ext4 needs to be tested a little more and will be the default in the next release. You can install ext4 in Jaunty by manually partitioning your hard drive. I am using ext4 on Jaunty now and I haven't had any problems thus far.

Wiebelhaus
April 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
You can choose ext4, but it's not the default. They wanted more testing, and some issues to be resolved before they make it the default.

Which I can certainly appreciate.

bikeboy
April 24th, 2009, 02:11 PM
For more detail, you can check the official statements - http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904overview and http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904

daverich
April 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
hmm

fair enough.

I was under the mistaken impression it was all good.

I'm all for having a stable default over ext4 - I just wondered why it was hyped around that jaunty would be running on ext4 and then it installed ext3.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

samjh
April 25th, 2009, 05:24 AM
hmm

fair enough.

I was under the mistaken impression it was all good.

I'm all for having a stable default over ext4 - I just wondered why it was hyped around that jaunty would be running on ext4 and then it installed ext3.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Jaunty's inclusion of ext4 was hyped as it's the only distro which supports ext4 on the boot partition. So far, other distros don't support ext4 on the boot partition, because grub doesn't support ext4 yet. Jaunty had to use a backported patch for grub to make it work.

SomeGuyDude
April 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Jaunty's inclusion of ext4 was hyped as it's the only distro which supports ext4 on the boot partition. So far, other distros don't support ext4 on the boot partition, because grub doesn't support ext4 yet. Jaunty had to use a backported patch for grub to make it work.

I'd love to know what kind of a difference that makes.

cariboo
April 25th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Ext4 really makes a difference to boot time I went form 30 seconds to 20 seconds from grub to desktop. Disk checking is a lot faster too, it takes less than 5 seconds to check my 250Gb hard drive.

Saint Angeles
April 25th, 2009, 06:12 AM
my jaunty uses ext4... what a misleading thread title!

jeez!

samjh
April 25th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Sorry, I'll try to explain in the simplest terms...

Grub is a piece of software which reads what operating system you have installed on your computer, and boots into the selected operating system. For most of us, that operating system will be a version of Linux.

At the time when Jaunty was being developed, Grub could not read ext4 disk partitions. So if your disk partition with boot information was in ext4 format, then grub will not work, therefore your computer can't boot! At the time, your boot partition had to be in one of the formats grub could work with: eg. ext3, JFS, XFS, ReiserFS, etc.

For example, in Fedora 9 and 10 they supported ext4. But because ext4 was not yet compatible with grub, users could not use ext4 on a partition if they wanted to use that partition to boot their computer.

For Jaunty, developers adapted a patch for grub which will allow grub to read ext4 partitions, allowing Jaunty users to format their boot partition in ext4. As far as I know, Jaunty was the first distribution to do this.

wolfen69
April 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM

i notice a HUGE difference in speed. ext4+64bit=blazing speed.

celthunder
April 25th, 2009, 07:20 AM

archlinux lets you use ext4...has for a while.

Simian Man
May 24th, 2009, 12:57 AM
i notice a HUGE difference in speed. ext4+64bit=blazing speed.

He was asking what difference having /boot as ext3 makes. I am almost certain that /boot hardly matters since it just holds the boot loader and only needs to be a few hundred megabytes large. It is just a little simpler not to need it.

MikeTheC
May 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM
It's deceiving, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't manually partition my system (well, ok, I do inasmuch as I do a partition resize for the NTFS WinVista install) but you have to go into completely manually partitioning, and I really am not comfortable with that because I'm never certain what the optimal size or placement of the SWAP partition is.

However, I'm running ext4 and the performance difference to me is amazing.