PDA

View Full Version : Difference b/w "I need" and "I want"

kpkeerthi
April 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
OK... I'm not a native English speaker. I have always wondered what difference it would make when someone says "I want that" as against "I need that". Anyone?

freakbofo
April 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM
need is something that you cant do without,want is something that you would like,but is not a necessity,does that help?

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 01:32 PM
"I need to breath!" "I want to buy a new computer."

chucky chuckaluck
April 24th, 2009, 01:34 PM
little kids get all excited about getting toys for christmas and all miserable when getting something like socks. six months later, the toys are gathering dust while the socks are getting holes in them.

kpkeerthi
April 24th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks freakbofo and swoll1980. That helped.

befana
April 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM
And what is the difference between "I need to" and "I have to"?
Please, I do not know - I'm learning English here alone.

freakbofo
April 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
glad to help!!!!!!!!:)

Sand & Mercury
April 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
They mean the same thing.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 01:38 PM

No difference there.

freakbofo
April 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
something you need to do,well it has to be done regardless.and have to would mean the same.

befana
April 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your replies.

frup
April 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I think there is a slight difference between needing to and having to do something

For example if the kitchen is dirty, you need to clean it.
If someone says the kitchen is dirty and forces you to do it, you have to do it... but I wouldn't say you need to do it exactly... I don't know. Is that a correct subtle difference?

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I think there is a slight difference between needing to and having to do something

For example if the kitchen is dirty, you need to clean it.
If someone says the kitchen is dirty and forces you to do it, you have to do it... but I wouldn't say you need to do it exactly... I don't know. Is that a correct subtle difference?

No.

ibuclaw
April 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM
want: is a very adolescent need of something. It is the needing without requirement or goal.
The words "I want" actually conjures up thoughts of children crying because they "want" this toy or they "want" to go to McDonalds.
They don't necessarily "need" to go, they just want to fufil their current desires.

need: is much more of a threatening requirement. As in if you don't fufil that need, something bad (or good) may happen in the near future.
ie: "I need to go to the toilet" or "I need to get a passport so I can go to Barcelona for the Ubuntu UDS next month".

have: is more of an authoritative need. You don't have to necessarily want to do it, but someone from above (ie: Your Boss) is putting it up to you to get it done. Alternately, it can be seen as a chore.
ie: "I have to mow the lawn". Not everyone likes doing it, but it must be done to keep your garden tidy.

So to sum it up:
I want to = intrinsic desire
I need to = intrinsic goal
I have to = extrinsic/undesired goal

[EDIT]
Of course, due to the completely and utter vagueness of the English language, I think it is safe to say that whatever context you use them in, people will generally understand where you are coming from.
Although some words can be perceived as rude or impolite.

instead of saying "I want" ... it is more polite to say "I would like to" or "I would prefer".

Regards
Iain

swoll1980
April 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM
have: is more of an authoritative need. You don't have to necessarily want to do it, but someone from above (ie: Your Boss) is putting it up to you to get it done. Alternately, it can be seen as a chore.
ie: "I have to mow the lawn". Not everyone likes doing it, but it must be done to keep your garden tidy.

No, I could say "I'm hungry. I have/need to eat something." or "I need groceries. I have/need to go to the store" I can use either of these interchangably.

ddarsow
April 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM
want: is a very adolescent need of something. It is the needing without requirement or goal.
The words "I want" actually conjures up thoughts of children crying because they "want" this toy or they "want" to go to McDonalds.
They don't necessarily "need" to go, they just want to fufil their current desires.

need: is much more of a threatening requirement. As in if you don't fufil that need, something bad (or good) may happen in the near future.
ie: "I need to go to the toilet" or "I need to get a passport so I can go to Barcelona for the Ubuntu UDS next month".

So to sum it up:
I want to = intrinsic desire
I need to = intrinsic goal
I have to = extrinsic/undesired goal

[EDIT]
Of course, due to the completely and utter vagueness of the English language, I think it is safe to say that whatever context you use them in, people will generally understand where you are coming from.
Although some words can be perceived as rude or impolite.

instead of saying "I want" ... it is more polite to say "I would like to" or "I would prefer".

Regards
Iain

+1
excellent answer

ibuclaw
April 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM
No, I could say "I'm hungry. I have/need to eat something." or "I need groceries. I have/need to go to the store" I can use either of these interchangably.

Yes, hence why I said that "have" is an authoritative need.

If I were to say "I need to eat something", I would mean it in the context of "If I don't eat, I am going to become sick, or prolong my hunger pains, or to be frank, at worst die".

If I were to say "I have to eat something", it is not necessarily my desire to eat right now, but I have identified it as a requirement if I am to keep healthy, or don't want to be hungry in the near future.

Again, I am going to stress that English can be a vague language in the context of these things, and I admit that I am taking an overall strict view of it in this conversation.

pbpersson
April 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I'm learning English here alone.

The best of luck to you. I was born in Chicago, have used English my entire life, I am 53 years old and I still do not really understand it completely. :lolflag:

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Need may allude more to choice and willingness is some cases, whereas Have may indicate less of a choice.

Eg.

I need to go to work, - to pay my bills.
I have to go to work, but i really want to stay home and test Ubuntu. (Crap)

english can be dynamic and confusing sometimes....:) It's about subtle context.

bobbob1016
April 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM

They mean the same thing.

Actually, not really.

"I need to" could be meant as "something I obligated myself to do" as in "I need to study".

"I have to" would be more something someone else obligated you to do, as in "my mom said I have to pick up my little brother from school".

Because technically speaking, "I have/need to eat something" or "I have/need to go to the store" could be either intrinsic or extrinsic. As in you could be commanding yourself to do that, or someone else could tell you to do it. If you say "*I* have to go to the store" you could be saying since someone else isn't going for you, they are commanding that you go. "I have to eat something" could mean "I don't have a choice, I require food", and "I need to eat something" could mean "I'm hungry and I want to eat".

befana
April 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
After reading your posts, I've made this sentence:
"I have to take care about my notebook, as I need to do my work on it, and because I love my job, I don't want to lose that job."
Is the use of "have", "need" and "want" in this sentence correct?

ibuclaw
April 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
"I have to take care about my notebook, as I need to do my work on it, and because I love my job, I don't want to lose that job."
Yes, your use of "have", "need" and "want" is an excellent way to put them into context. :KS

I think you have demonstrated very good grasp of it.

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Now you're cooking with gas!

diafanos
April 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
little kids get all excited about getting toys for christmas and all miserable when getting something like socks. six months later, the toys are gathering dust while the socks are getting holes in them.

You're out of topic chucky chuckaluck: You cannot use Christmas in your examples, during Easer period.:)

befana
April 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM
tinivole, thank you for that lesson!