PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A little help w/ a dual boot?

crazyfish666
April 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi,

I'm planning on dual booting my system w/ XP and Ubuntu starting from a blank HD (my old one died and this one's brand new). I'm assuming first step is just to use the rescue CDs I got w/ my laptop (a Dell Inspiron 6400) to stick XP on the HD. After that, I've got a couple of questions.

1) I'm thinking of just installing Hardy as that's what I liked it when I had it before and I'm a big fan of waiting till the bugs get sorted out before switching. Also, I've found a really nice looking tutorial for the dual boot w/ Hardy (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm). Is this a good plan? Would it be more advisable to go with Intrepid? I'm pretty sure I don't want to go w/ Jaunty as it is so new and likely very buggy...

2) The HD I've got is 320GB and I'm not all too sure where to partition it. Ubuntu'll be my main OS. I'm just keeping the XP around so I can run my Rosetta Stone CDs and anything else that comes up that doesn't like running on Ubuntu. The Rosetta Stone says it requires 1.8 GB of available HD space and then the XP itself will take up some space... Thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance, I'm really rather new to the sorting out my own computer stuff thing, so I'm a little clueless :)!

Fae