PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope - 3945ABG - WPA

huntz
April 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I have just upgraded my Kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04, but I have discovered my WIFI connection is now broken. I cannot join to any network (well I use only WPA networks...).

However, I have a fix to this problem. Install WICD

Open a terminal and:

sudo aptitude install wicd

You will remove network-manager, network-manager-kde and network-manager-gnome but on Jaunty the network-manager is not working with my Inel 3945ABG, so not a big deal... :)

After installing WICD, reboot and you will have a new icon into the tray bar: just double clink on it and expand your wireless network proprieties (click on the name of your network). Then click on the "Advanced Settings" button and enable the "Use Encryption" flag and insert your network key; then click the "Connect" button. That's it.

PS: remember to check into WICD preferences panel the "WPA Supplicant Driver" is set to wext.

I hope this will help.

waldron
April 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Open a terminal and:

sudo aptitude install wcid

May I must point out that this should be 'wicd'

waldron
April 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I had the same problem - after upgrading from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 my wireless connection wasn't working. I tried the WICD solution, but although that removed network-manager, it didn't install wicd. I've since found that during the upgrade, the driver for my wireless card became deactivated. So I've reinstalled network-manager and everything is now OK.

huntz
April 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
May I must point out that this should be 'wicd'

Typo fixed, thanks.

SeanBlader
April 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I tried WICD and didn't have any improved success in connecting to a TKIP based WPA2 network, so I went back to Network Manager which works just as well as WICD on my system.

Moral of the story, your mileage may vary.

huntz
April 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I had the same problem - after upgrading from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 my wireless connection wasn't working. I tried the WICD solution, but although that removed network-manager, it didn't install wicd. I've since found that during the upgrade, the driver for my wireless card became deactivated. So I've reinstalled network-manager and everything is now OK.

I have also tried to reinstall network-manager, but in my case the driver for my wireless was active. I was able to see my wireless network, but unable to join.

This is a bug (as anyone can see from the Launchpad pages...) but wicd is able to resolve this problem (at least in my case) so... :)

Hero of Time
April 25th, 2009, 12:13 PM
WICD doesn't really solve it. When I had 8.10 installed, I also had a few Jaunty kernels on it. Since a certain release my wireless stopped working, I think it was 2.6.28-8, the one where they introduced Wireless-CRDA. Now with a clean install of Jaunty, I don't have X installed yet either so no NM, I can't connect to my router. I installed wpa_supplicant, restored it's config from backup, fire it up and nothing. It either times out, or keeps trying to associate.
I've tried 2.6.29.1 and even 2.6.30-rc3, none of them work. I do however have my SSID hidden. I don't want to change that, as it used to work.

Toxyn
April 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Im suffering from this issue too :( after 8.04 my wireless stopped working, and after finally coming back to linux, the wireless (same card) on my dell xps m1530 refuses to work :(

Hero of Time
April 26th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I have also tried to reinstall network-manager, but in my case the driver for my wireless was active. I was able to see my wireless network, but unable to join.

This is a bug (as anyone can see from the Launchpad pages...) but wicd is able to resolve this problem (at least in my case) so... :)
Can you link to those Launchpad pages? I can't seem to find them.

celticdevildog
April 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Open a terminal and:

sudo aptitude install wicd You will remove network-manager, network-manager-kde and network-manager-gnome but on Jaunty the network-manager is not working with my Inel 3945ABG, so not a big deal... :)

After installing WICD, reboot and you will have a new icon into the tray bar:

I tried this and do not have an icon in the tray bar. How can I verify if this was installed correctly? I have been trying all sorts of ways to get my wireless working to no avail.

Hero of Time
April 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I tried this and do not have an icon in the tray bar. How can I verify if this was installed correctly? I have been trying all sorts of ways to get my wireless working to no avail.
Run wicd-client.

Hero of Time
April 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have no idea what changed on my laptop, but after installing a GUI, i.e. Xserver-xorg and Xfce, my network works. I got connected. This is with kernel 2.6.30-RC3. I don't know about 2.6.29.1, as that is the one I actually want to run, I don't like development kernels that much.

Edit:
Works with 2.6.29.1 too.

RomanIvanov
June 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I had the same problem - Xubuntu 9.04 on Dell Vostrol 1510 (Wireless 49454ABG) - does not work wireless. Worked fine for 8.10.

Solution:
just install new xfce 4.6.1

Source link: http://jeromeg.blog.free.fr/index.php?post/2009/03/04/Installing-Xfce-4.6-on-Ubuntu-8.04-and-Ubuntu-8.10

Run in terminal:
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 0E23917F5D9DCE6C
gpg --export --armor 0E23917F5D9DCE6C | sudo apt-key add -

Add in Source code (Application / System /Software Sources -> tab ThirdParty software)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jerome-guelfucci/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Restart the laptop - work fine.

denseralvo
August 18th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I have just upgraded my Kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04, but I have discovered my WIFI connection is now broken. I cannot join to any network (well I use only WPA networks...).

However, I have a fix to this problem. Install WICD

Open a terminal and:

sudo aptitude install wicd

You will remove network-manager, network-manager-kde and network-manager-gnome but on Jaunty the network-manager is not working with my Inel 3945ABG, so not a big deal... :)

After installing WICD, reboot and you will have a new icon into the tray bar: just double clink on it and expand your wireless network proprieties (click on the name of your network). Then click on the "Advanced Settings" button and enable the "Use Encryption" flag and insert your network key; then click the "Connect" button. That's it.

PS: remember to check into WICD preferences panel the "WPA Supplicant Driver" is set to wext.

I hope this will help.

Thanks it works!