PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade a 8.10 wubi installation

mcastel
April 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
is it safe to upgrade a 8.10 Wubi installation? is it supported?

Sure it's already been asked but I can't find any thread on the subject.. sorry ;)

Thanks

dazzlindonna
April 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
+1 for this question. Wondering if I can just upgrade as normal on my Wubi'd laptop. Anyone tried this yet? Do mcastel and I have to be the first guinea pigs? :)

fidamehran
May 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I guess you're not alone. I am also in the line. I have a Wubi installation of 8.10. I need to know if I can upgrade in the same way as a regular installation from the Alternate CD.
Logically it should be possible, since Ubuntu doesn't have those System file mismatch problems Or problems with different system files like Windows. Moreover, since we are not Administrators by default in Ubuntu, we will get a notification whenever some vital files are about to go hay-wire. ALso it will tell us whether it is OK to continue the upgradation. So, it seems feasible.

wannadumpwindows
May 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
It seems feasible, but the last time I tried it, the upgrade completely trashed my system beyond repair.

That was when I switched to dual boot, it's much more user friendly. And when you mess something up, there's a much better chance that you can recover from it.

Marlonsm
May 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I've done that.
The upgraded worked. But not well, the system was slow and unstable after the upgrade.
So I've done a clean and normal install and it's fast and stable now.

dazzlindonna
October 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
So, months later, I finally got tired of seeing the notification in Update Manager that a new distribution was available, and I just went for it. It worked. I don't see any problems yet, but I may just move to having Karmic on its own partition next time around. But for a no-hassle install and upgrade, Wubi worked fine for me. This whole Wubi experience was a test anyway, as I may recommend it to some people I know, but I wanted to experience it first-hand before I told them to try it. In any case, just wanted to chime in with the results of me upgrading.