PDA

View Full Version : So after Zesty Zebra.....

sandpvrr
April 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hi All,
Rolling into work this morning, got thinking. After the 26th version of Ubuntu - (I'm sure they won't go with this, but I'd call it Zesty Zebra) what are we going to start nicknaming these versions? Go back to A? Start at 1?
I know - pressing matters - only another 17 versions to go :-)
-Joey
Ubuntu Server 8.04
Ubuntu Desktop 8.10 (Haven't made the plunge yet)
Ubuntu 7.10 (Haven't turned that one on in a while!)
eeeBuntu 2.0
Simply MEPIS 8.0

=^,^=
April 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Won wabbit!

samjh
April 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Go back to A, I guess.

Ubuntu versions haven't always been in alphabetical order, by the way. The original was Warty Warthog, followed by Hoary Hedgehog, then Breezy Badger. The consecutive alphabetical naming scheme started from Dapper Drake. :) You might notice that we've already done "H" twice!

meeples
April 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
i say we go off animals all together and start going into to fizzy drinks :p

tasty tango, cooling cola, livid lilt....

JohnFH
April 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Do you think Ubuntu will still be around for another 17 releases? We're only on release 9 at the moment.

meeples
April 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Do you think Ubuntu will still be around for another 17 releases? We're only on release 9 at the moment.

ubuntu will be around forever and whoever says otherwise is urmm WRONG! :D

ubuntu FTW

and actually its way more than nine isnt it? considering theres 2 releases a year and we're on the 9th year.. so it must be at 18 yes?

im probably wrong ahaha

aquavitae
April 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Aaron Aardvark

sandpvrr
April 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I tend to agree - this Distro has enough support both in and outside of the Linux community that I think it will be around for a very long time. Heck - if I can buy a Dell with it, that is significant!(I didn't BTW - one of the Dells I have had XP - the other had Vista)
On to version 27 and beyond!
-Joey

pwnst*r
April 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
it'll be around for awhile, although i've been tired of the animal names since i started using ubuntu a couple of years ago.

sandpvrr
April 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Well, instead of animals something else. (like the fizzy drink idea) Cooling Cola - Belching Beer. Or just words: Awesome Alpha - Better Beta (ok Beta might not work)
Just a thought or two...
-Joey

lukjad
April 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I don't really care. There is plenty of time. I'm rooting for AB->BC->CD etc.

pwnst*r
April 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Well, instead of animals something else. (like the fizzy drink idea) Cooling Cola - Belching Beer. Or just words: Awesome Alpha - Better Beta (ok Beta might not work)
Just a thought or two...
-Joey

seriously? all of that just sounds like an OS for kids.

sandpvrr
April 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Well no offense intended - but the animal names we've been using aren't exactly non-kid sounding. I suppose we could do more adult ones, Vicarious Vodka ??? :-)
-Joey

samjh
April 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Debian releases are named after Toy Story characters. ;)

jwbrase
April 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM
How about Αχιλλευς Ανυποκριτος?

Chemical Imbalance
April 25th, 2009, 02:25 AM
How about Αχιλλευς Ανυποκριτος?

Unfeigned Achilles? Huh?

Kareeser
April 25th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Won wabbit!

Nonono..

Wascally Wabbit!

gymophett
April 25th, 2009, 04:38 AM

So do the current ones. I wish they made them more "professional" sounding.

samjh
April 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM
The names are only supposed to be code names. Officially, version numbers should be used, like Ubuntu 9.04 or Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Rokurosv
April 25th, 2009, 05:29 AM
They will stop with the animal names and name it Canonical Linux.

MaxIBoy
April 25th, 2009, 05:32 AM
We should pull an NCH and move on to Greek alphabet names. You know, Ubuntu Alpha, Ubuntu Beta...

Wait, nevermind.

Bobnova
April 25th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Could go classic style with AA BB etc.

Aardvark'd be the first one...

Saint Angeles
April 25th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I don't think that Ubuntu will ever get to "Z"

You see, at a certain point, Ubuntu will reach the ultimate pinnacle of OS superiority. It will be completely "perfect" in every way; therefore, there will be no reason to make another release. I think it will happen around the letter "M" and the name will be "Maniacal Manatee".

In fact, all Linux distros will stop making new releases and disappear, Microsoft will have to use the X-Box as their main source of income, and Mac will just copy Manatee but change the theme a little.

jwbrase
April 25th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Unfeigned Achilles? Huh?

I just asked my friend for a Greek adjective that began with Alpha, and used Achilles because it was the first Greek noun beginning with Alpha that came to mind.

pwnst*r
April 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM
So do the current ones. I wish they made them more "professional" sounding.

they do indeed. didn't mean to imply that they don't. i always tell people "yeah i'm using Ubuntu x.xx"

Nevon
April 25th, 2009, 08:02 AM
They'll just have to start using letters not in the English alphabet. Ångerfylld Åsna, Älskade Älg, Övergivna Örn etc.

Rainstride
April 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM

ubuntu is the most popular version of linux it will disapper when linux stops existing. and that just just isn't going to happen.

Calmatory
April 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM
ubuntu will be around forever and whoever says otherwise is urmm WRONG! :D

ubuntu FTW

and actually its way more than nine isnt it? considering theres 2 releases a year and we're on the 9th year.. so it must be at 18 yes?

im probably wrong ahaha
Ubuntu's first release was 4.10 called Warthy Warthog. Jaunty is the 10th release, so Ubuntu has been around for 4,5 years.

captainobvious62
April 25th, 2009, 09:39 AM
how about "Apathetic Ape"

Chemical Imbalance
April 26th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I vote Astral Aardvark

0per4t0r
April 26th, 2009, 01:45 AM
go thru the alphabet again!!!

ddrichardson
April 26th, 2009, 01:49 AM
There is a list of what words and animals are considered for combinations on the Wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

Personally, I'd have like to see the look on RMS's face if Gutsy Gnu was ever chosen.

Kareeser
April 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
We could be a royal pain in Microsoft's *** and release a new Ubuntu version exactly 1 days after the release theirs.

Windows 7 -> Ubuntu 7.

*snicker*

Simian Man
April 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
ubuntu is the most popular version of linux it will disapper when linux stops existing. and that just just isn't going to happen.

Red Hat Linux used to be the most popular version of Linux and that isn't around any more (it phased into Fedora, but the release numbers etc. started over). After that Mandrake was the most popular, and that doesn't exist any more either (it merged with Connectiva to form Mandriva).

Ubuntu has only been around for a few years, I doubt it will last all the way to Z - at least in its current form.

TBOL3
April 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Red Hat Linux used to be the most popular version of Linux and that isn't around any more (it phased into Fedora, but the release numbers etc. started over). After that Mandrake was the most popular, and that doesn't exist any more either (it merged with Connectiva to form Mandriva).

Ubuntu has only been around for a few years, I doubt it will last all the way to Z - at least in its current form.

Red hat still exists, and it's doing fine, I might add.

And yes, I do agree with you in so much that ubuntu may not always be the most popular release, but I highly doubt it will be going away within 15 years. (Even if it becomes some random distro that a bunch of cranky people make in their mother's basement).