PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] environmental monitoring: widgets for pollen count | UV | sunrise/set

finite9
April 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I've been bitten by the "widget monitor" bug!

Im using Conky to monitor my system and it works beautifully: I can see everything I want at a glance, but I just found out I am allergic to certain stuff, and I suffer from spring allergies so I wonder if there are widgets for the following:

pollen count
UV rating
sunrise / sunset

...environmental monitoring stuff.

etc. Not really that bothered about weather, because I can just look out of the window, but those I list cannot be easily seen.

I know of gDesklets and SuperKaramba, but cannot find appropriate widgets for what I want. Are there any other widget systems out there that can monitor some or all of what I need?

I saw on Pollen.com that Yahoo has a widget system and you can monitor pollen count that way, but there is no Linux version.

If there are not any widgets for this, can anyone recommend any other way of monitoring, like linking to datasets and having them display directly on the desktop via html or something?

Judgegeo
April 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I've been bitten by the "widget monitor" bug!

Im using Conky to monitor my system and it works beautifully: I can see everything I want at a glance, but I just found out I am allergic to certain stuff, and I suffer from spring allergies so I wonder if there are widgets for the following:

pollen count
UV rating
sunrise / sunset

...environmental monitoring stuff.

etc. Not really that bothered about weather, because I can just look out of the window, but those I list cannot be easily seen.

I know of gDesklets and SuperKaramba, but cannot find appropriate widgets for what I want. Are there any other widget systems out there that can monitor some or all of what I need?

I saw on Pollen.com that Yahoo has a widget system and you can monitor pollen count that way, but there is no Linux version.

If there are not any widgets for this, can anyone recommend any other way of monitoring, like linking to datasets and having them display directly on the desktop via html or something?

Well, I'm sure if you look around there is maybe an RSS feed with this information? Or maybe a site with the information on, that conky can pull the data from?

With just a quick google, http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/about/newsid_7788000/7788189.stm ?

Hope this helps a little

finite9
April 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
there is an RSS feed for the MET office for all UK regions, and Conky can parse RSS data, but I dont live in the UK and my country does not have an RSS feed for their equivalent of the MET office.

I was hoping there was a european aggregator or something that has an RSS feed.