PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on nvidia pci graphics cards!

=^,^=
April 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I want to build a low powered desktop just for light use!

I have already decided on a dual core atom 330 with 2 gigabytes of ram. But the thing is it comes with an onboard intel graphics chip, which i have read bad things about!

The motherboard of the atom dual core has a single pci slot, so i was wondering whats the best nvidia pci card i can get that is powered completely by the pci slot.

The best i can find is a geforce fx 5500 w/256 megabytes of ram, which is a pretty old card although it would probably do for my gaming needs, for stuff like wow and warcraft 3, but is there a better card i could get?

Thanks! ^,^

Zero Prime
April 24th, 2009, 12:34 PM
If your looking for any 3D gaming you will be disappointed with that setup. A PCI video card would have terrible frame rates.

collinp
April 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Geforce 6200 is what I use, its on newegg. Like the person above said, though, dont expect to be able to game well on these cards.

Amorphous_Snake
April 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I read somewhere that there was going to be 9400 and 9500 cards with PCI interface. But I don't remember where.

JohnFH
April 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Why? Do you have a desktop already?

I have already decided on a dual core atom 330 with 2 gigabytes of ram.

That's not low powered at all.

=^,^=
April 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Why? Do you have a desktop already?

That's not low powered at all.

No i have a laptop!

And that is the lowest powered desktop processor that i could find. And the reviews said its the lowest power consuming processor!

=^,^=
April 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Bump...

DenysT
April 26th, 2009, 04:55 AM

I have already decided on a dual core atom 330 with 2 gigabytes of ram. But the thing is it comes with an onboard intel graphics chip, which i have read bad things about!

The motherboard of the atom dual core has a single pci slot, so i was wondering whats the best nvidia pci card i can get that is powered completely by the pci slot.

The best i can find is a geforce fx 5500 w/256 megabytes of ram, which is a pretty old card although it would probably do for my gaming needs, for stuff like wow and warcraft 3, but is there a better card i could get?

Thanks! ^,^

Surely this board has PCI Express on it. For what it cost to upgrade to a decent power supply, say 300W to 500W is not that much and there are several geforce PCI Express cards available for under $100 now. Check Compusa's website for some really good buys on 9500 and 9600 PCI Express cards.

=^,^=
April 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Surely this board has PCI Express on it. For what it cost to upgrade to a decent power supply, say 300W to 500W is not that much and there are several geforce PCI Express cards available for under $100 now. Check Compusa's website for some really good buys on 9500 and 9600 PCI Express cards.

No it only has a single pci slot, not pci-express. I already have a power supply that was given to me!

And the best card i can still find is a geforce 5500 w/256 megabytes of ram!

argie
April 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Sparkle produces PCI graphics cards (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product.asp?id=94). I'm not sure how you can get those in the US, though.

=^,^=
April 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
sparkle produces pci graphics cards (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product.asp?id=94). I'm not sure how you can get those in the us, though.

Thank you! ^,^

DenysT
April 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Compusa website has Sparkle Nvidia PCI cards, with 1G or 512M. May have to get one of those myself just to play around with. :)

ssam
April 26th, 2009, 04:19 PM
look up the nvidia Ion mini-itx boards. zotac seem to be making them. the have an atom cpu and an nvidia 9400. sounds like just what you want.

i was looking a atom 330 boards the other day. for a headless system so i dont need a fancy graphics card. intel make a big fuss about them being low powered. the atom 330 has a TDP of 8 watts, which sounds good. but if you look at the motherboards you see there is a fan on them, which seems odd. if you look through the board manual ( http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/D945GCLF2-D945GCLF2D/D945GCLF2-D945GCLF2D-overview.htm ) then you find that the fan is on the northbridge (the CPU is under the small heat sink). later on in the manual it says that when you include an optical drive and hard disk, you can design the case for 80 watts.

my current via epia MII6000 draws between 20 and 30 watts from the mains, including the powerbrick, a 3.5 inch hard disk, CF card, and USB sound card.

=^,^=
April 27th, 2009, 10:54 AM
look up the nvidia Ion mini-itx boards. zotac seem to be making them. the have an atom cpu and an nvidia 9400. sounds like just what you want.

i was looking a atom 330 boards the other day. for a headless system so i dont need a fancy graphics card. intel make a big fuss about them being low powered. the atom 330 has a TDP of 8 watts, which sounds good. but if you look at the motherboards you see there is a fan on them, which seems odd. if you look through the board manual ( http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/D945GCLF2-D945GCLF2D/D945GCLF2-D945GCLF2D-overview.htm ) then you find that the fan is on the northbridge (the CPU is under the small heat sink). later on in the manual it says that when you include an optical drive and hard disk, you can design the case for 80 watts.

my current via epia MII6000 draws between 20 and 30 watts from the mains, including the powerbrick, a 3.5 inch hard disk, CF card, and USB sound card.

Hi, thanks so much for this!

Im going to purchase one when released! ^,^