PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 crashed twice

methodmarvel
April 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I installed 9.04 from the torrents file at http://releases.ubuntu.com/jaunty/

After burning the CD, md5sum checking it, and doing the "check CD for defects" option on booting from the CD I installed ubuntu using the option "install ubuntu".

The first time I did this it froze at 57% into the installation.

I rebooted and started the install again and this time was successful.

Later that day using 9.04 it froze again while I was rapidly unchecking some tick boxes in transmission.

These freezes or crashes resulted in the mouse stopping moving and all keys and short cuts of the keyboard becoming inactive (including ctrl alt backspace - though I've heard this is disabled in 9.04?). I had to hold the power button and manually restart. After this it has been functional for ~1 day.

I was wondering if there is anyway to find out what caused the second crash - any log file or such which could help me diagnose the problem. I do not want it happening again.

mbzn
April 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM
can you use Ctrl+Alt+F1 and get into the shell?

methodmarvel
April 24th, 2009, 09:25 AM
can you use Ctrl+Alt+F1 and get into the shell?

I can right now - I don't think I could during a crash. I remember trying.

methodmarvel
April 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry to bump this but I just want to make sure my janty install isn't going to let me down

Michaelg14
April 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I am also having random freezes with 9.04 and no you can't do any keyboard functions. The only option is a full reset. It can happen during boot or after running 24 hours, it is completely random.

methodmarvel
April 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I am also having random freezes with 9.04 and no you can't do any keyboard functions. The only option is a full reset. It can happen during boot or after running 24 hours, it is completely random.

I've gone back to hardy for now simply because it doesn't crash for me.

Stability is a big deal for me so I might consider switching to debian but I've never had much success installing it. Plus it seems less compatible than ubuntu.

Anyone else having freezes?

reymon
April 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I've gone back to hardy for now simply because it doesn't crash for me.

Stability is a big deal for me so I might consider switching to debian but I've never had much success installing it. Plus it seems less compatible than ubuntu.

Anyone else having freezes?

I have exactly the same problem.

I installed Ubuntu a few days ago but already I am considering to change it.

Do you think an older version is more stable?

johnwillis
April 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have exactly the same problem.

I installed Ubuntu a few days ago but already I am considering to change it.

Do you think an older version is more stable?

The 8.04 Hardy release will be more stable... it's what it was designed for... the 6 monthly releases are designed to give you more cutting edge features...

If you want stability then use Hardy 8.04

If you want a clean install then try Debian. It's got all the same software available near enough in the repo's as it's exactly what the Ubuntu repos are based on...

-J

reymon
April 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Thank you johnwillis.

I am already in total love with Ubuntu and I was already agonizing by the thougt that I must go back to windows.

I will try first Hardy and if I still have problems - Debian.

Best

The 8.04 Hardy release will be more stable... it's what it was designed for... the 6 monthly releases are designed to give you more cutting edge features...

If you want stability then use Hardy 8.04

If you want a clean install then try Debian. It's got all the same software available near enough in the repo's as it's exactly what the Ubuntu repos are based on...

-J

vaxius
May 1st, 2009, 04:49 AM
I have this same thing happening. Everything freezes, so the logs don't show me anything. I'm running this on an Acer Aspire One ZG5. Could this have anything to do with Intel video drivers? I noticed this random freezing more often after having updated that package. I will try going back to the older driver and see if that improves thing (regression?).

vaxius
May 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Since reverting back from the Intel driver I got from a ppa repo, I haven't experienced any more freezing problems. This may not be the same problem as the OP's, but if anyone reading this has updated the video driver on their netbook is experiencing this problem, just go back to the driver included in the default repositories.

pi.boy.travis
May 2nd, 2009, 04:17 AM
LOTS of people are having this problem, especially with Intel GMA graphics cards.

I have been following the bug report, and a fox for Jaunty has been committed. Everyone should get it in a update soon.

rpwdh
May 2nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Today I installed Hardy from the CD, upgraded to Ibex and then upgraded to Jaunty.

Everything went smoothly and I haven't had a crash.