PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [9.04 X86_64] No sound, even after updates.

Tuxmaniak
April 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM
First of all i must say that i am really impressed by jaunty as it boots in under a 35sec on my machine :-) and everything works just fine except for the sound output.

I can see my soundcard in volume control and i have all the channels enabled and they are all at 100% but for some reason i still don't have any audio... what up with that ?

It worked fine under 8.10 i think (have the laptop only 2 weeks)...
I have seen all the bug reports about the sound not working, and i there is says that there is an update :)

but even after enableling all the sources in my sources.list and installing all the updates wich showed up.... it still doesn't work.

What can i do ? i am not new to linux, but this is the first time i had to troubleshoot something... if you need me to post the output of something then please ask !

My Computer is a HP TX2650ED Tablet PC (touchscreen and fingerprint reader work just fine already)

Favux
April 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Tuxmaniak,

Welcome to Ubuntu!

For the TX2500 in Hardy and intrepid you need to add a line to alsa-base to get sound working. I'm going to assume it's the same in Jaunty.

To the bottom of the file "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base" you add the following line:

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=toshiba position_fix=1
To edit the file you would use in a terminal:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
You have to be root when you edit it. Gksudo is the graphical version of sudo and will do that. It will ask for your password. Gedit is gnome-edit and is a gui text editor which is why you use gksudo. If there already is a line with model=HP just remove it (save it somewhere).

To determine your soundchip use:

aplay -l

I hope this helps.