PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a D'Oh?

jaybee99
January 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I just spent the *whole* morning troubleshooting the mysterious disappearance of sound on my PC, googling, reading man pages, trying more and more unlikely tweaks (changing group and owner of /dev/dsp) etc.......I was about to post here when I noticed - you guessed it - the speakers were unplugged :oops: :-& Just thought I'd pass that on :D and I suppose the moral is, check that the f&&*%$g speakers are plugged in...

Rancoras
January 16th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Been there, done that ;-)

I kinda did the same thing one time, where the right channel was not working. After all the doinking around with OS settings and such, the plug wasn't all the way in.

zeroK
January 16th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I think anyone has made similiar experiences ;-) My alltimefavorite is still the "broken mouse" which is in fact plugged into the wrong machine :P

crane
January 16th, 2005, 05:19 PM
he he he
I'm not laughing ay you but more like with you.
My first install of fedora core I hit the power button inserted the disk and wiated, and waited .... a n d Waited. nothing, just a black screen. :cry: so I het reset, same problem... so I remove the cd and hit reset... same thing.... I though aaahhhh the installer screwed the whole system.... :-x

So after going to my daughters computer and surfing countless forum posts, read me, and fact files.
Then I proceeded to unhook the computer to start looking at hardware when it occured to me.

The KVM switch was on the wrong port :mrgreen:

jaybee99
January 16th, 2005, 06:11 PM
now I don't feel so bad ;)

zenwhen
January 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
That has happened to me before as well.

jakeslife
January 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I think the worst thing that's happened to me is I thought m sound had been screwed up, but then realized I had turned the volume all the way down in RealPlayer.

Well, not counting the time I got a nasty shock from working on my box when a blackout hit.

jwb
January 17th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Gotcha beat. I once had two identical machines running on a rack- the live server and test server. I had been making some drastic changes to the test server, and after getting a bit frustrated, hit the power button to just kill the box, and went off to find some coffee and think things over.

Until I got calls from around the building.

Seems I'd killed the live server and left the test server humming along.

Another time, I was frantically checking on our banner ad software to see why there were no ads on our homepage. After puzzling over the fact that everything seemed fine, I finally realized I was using Firefox to view it- and had ad blocking killing all ads.

DOUBLE D'OH!

The scary part is, somewhere, there are peole who operate nuclear missles with similar stories.......

Lovechild
January 17th, 2005, 03:30 AM
I've done a lot of dumb stuff during the time I've used Linux.

like sitting on IRC answering questions on deleting stuff.. only I typed "rm -rf *" in a root terminal placed in /. Then I went to the bathroom.

that was really dumb.

So D'oh brotha!