PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which version of Ubuntu for EPC1000HE

tcman
April 24th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hi,

I just purchased the ASUS EPC1000HE and upgraded RAM to 2GB. I'd like to convert the existing XP operating system to Ubuntu, but need some clarification on which version to use. I see that 9.04 Netbook Remix is specifically designed for nettops, but can I install the regular 9.04 desktop edition or even the oldeer 8.04 LTS edition? Will there be any significant differences in performance and functionality between the 3?

I question this because it is running XP now and seems to do just fine with this full version of XP. I'm assuming it should be able to handle the full desktop version of 9.04 or 8.04 as well? Or am I missing some detail here?

Thanks in advance.

Sef
April 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I question this because it is running XP now and seems to do just fine with this full version of XP. I'm assuming it should be able to handle the full desktop version of 9.04 or 8.04 as well? Or am I missing some detail here?

Either Ubuntu should run. I would install 9.04 to a usb drive and see how it works as a Live USB drive.

TjankMjaster
May 19th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Hi,

I just purchased the ASUS EPC1000HE and upgraded RAM to 2GB. I'd like to convert the existing XP operating system to Ubuntu, but need some clarification on which version to use. I see that 9.04 Netbook Remix is specifically designed for nettops, but can I install the regular 9.04 desktop edition or even the oldeer 8.04 LTS edition? Will there be any significant differences in performance and functionality between the 3?

Thanks in advance.

curious what your status is on this? I'm considering the same NB.

tcman
May 19th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Well, found out that 9.04 Remix is a superset of regular 9.04 and has a different front end made specifically for nettops.
From what I can tell, all the functionality is there, but the layout is different, and the icons are larger for the lower resolution and smaller screen.

I installed the 9.04 Remix on my ASUS via the usb memory stick and it is working just fine.

TjankMjaster
May 19th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Well, found out that 9.04 Remix is a superset of regular 9.04 and has a different front end made specifically for nettops.
From what I can tell, all the functionality is there, but the layout is different, and the icons are larger for the lower resolution and smaller screen.

I installed the 9.04 Remix on my ASUS via the usb memory stick and it is working just fine.

Cool,.. no quirks with wireless or cam? I'd be using Skype quiet a bit too,.. so I'm wonder how that will work. I read the onboard microphone was a bit twitchy on UNR.

tcman
May 19th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Wireless works fine, and I did a quick test of the camera by taking a couple of pictures of myself and recording a short video. The pictures turned out fine. The video seemed a little bit choppy, but that may be a setting issue. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with that yet.

I did have an issue with bluetooth mouse (MS bluetooth 5000 notebook mouse) which wouldn't synch up, but there is a pretty extensive forum thread which has the resolution. Movie, music, Word, Excel, PDF files all seem to work as well.

dawnlove
May 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I have xubuntu 9.04 on my eeepc 1000 and everything works, skype, cam, bluetooth. be sure to turn cam/bluetooth on in bios.