PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] interesting shutdown

April 24th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I don't know if this is a error or not. The machine is using 9.04 ubuntu jaunty. I tell it to shut down, the pc speaker beeps twice, then the screen goes blank, I see text on the screen for a few seconds, but it seems that when displaying this text the resolution has suddenly jumped from normal 1280x800 to 640x480, as a result the text is extreamly large, and does not fit entirely on the screen, all I can read of the text is 'ok' at the end of the sentance, after the one to two seconds, the screen goes black again, and the computer turns off.

I have also had it tell me, once I tried to include the third party repositores that they don't exist, or some other problem is accuring.
it is not entirly needed, so I am not too worried about that.

Does anyone know about this text on the screen, I have not seen this with the shutdown of any other distribution of ubuntu before.
It may help to know
it is a dell dimension 2400 desktop, 2.4ghz, 512mb ram, 495 mb readable by 9.04. 40gb hard disk.
I am working on this computer to give to one of my customers, so it is currently in oem install mode, with oem temporary user. have not yet prepaired it for shipping.

April 24th, 2009, 05:37 PM
the text no longer appears at shutdown, however the system does beep from pc speaker 3 times before starting shutdown. after it reads the ethernet conenction, and confers with floppy and dvd/cd drives, shuts down, the screen is blank during all of this. I will assume that what ever issue it had is gone, the beeps may be normal with ubuntu communicating with dell bios. Just a guess, but it sounds logical at least.