PDA

View Full Version : Linux needs to play its own game and quit comparing itself to Windows

sulekha
April 24th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Hi all

see this:- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tr-out-loud/?p=494&tag=nl.e101

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Won't bother to read the article, all i can say is that linux does not do that. maybe some of it's users with chips on their shoulders but Linux itself doesn't.

Chilli Bob
April 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Won't bother to read the article, all i can say is that linux does not do that. maybe some of it's users with chips on their shoulders but Linux itself doesn't.

Exactly what he said.

Noise...
April 24th, 2009, 05:53 AM

This.

samjh
April 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM
She has some good points, but makes strange remarks.

I agree that the Linux community need to stop comparing Linux to Windows. Yes, people do it. Just take a look at the Recurring Discussions forum here. There are many threads which try to compare or contrast Linux with Windows. It's not a phenomenon particular to Ubuntuforums.org, it happens in other Linux discussion boards too, although it seems more prevalent here than elsewhere.

I also agree that Linux has little chance of ousting Windows in areas where Windows is dominant. Especially on the desktop market. Yes, we should aim for Linux to be competitive on the desktop, but that is a very long-term goal. Let's not kid ourselves - Microsoft isn't exactly trembling from head to toe because of Linux.

But her statements about the absence of Linux in data centres and back office is just wrong. Same with her comments about the instability of Linux applications in comparison with Windows applications. I find Linux applications generally more stable (although not by much). And no, the Linux community doesn't compare "inflated" figures about Linux popularity and compare it to Windows - she must have pulled that one out of thin air.

Overall, a 5/10. :|

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 07:54 AM
She has some good points, but makes strange remarks.

I agree that the Linux community need to stop comparing Linux to Windows. Yes, people do it. Just take a look at the Recurring Discussions forum here. There are many threads which try to compare or contrast Linux with Windows. It's not a phenomenon particular to Ubuntuforums.org, it happens in other Linux discussion boards too, although it seems more prevalent here than elsewhere.

I also agree that Linux has little chance of ousting Windows in areas where Windows is dominant. Especially on the desktop market. Yes, we should aim for Linux to be competitive on the desktop, but that is a very long-term goal. Let's not kid ourselves - Microsoft isn't exactly trembling from head to toe because of Linux.

But her statements about the absence of Linux in data centres and back office is just wrong. Same with her comments about the instability of Linux applications in comparison with Windows applications. I find Linux applications generally more stable (although not by much). And no, the Linux community doesn't compare "inflated" figures about Linux popularity and compare it to Windows - she must have pulled that one out of thin air.

Overall, a 5/10. :|

Wow man. you read it. my Kudos ;) Bad FOSS press keeps hundreds of thousands of Norton and symantec employees, among MANY others, off the breadline. These 'journalists' do their job. I do mine.

ade234uk
April 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Linux needs to be Linux, just like Mac is a Mac.

I do get a bit fed up with seeing these blogs comparing it to Windows all the time. It's a little bit boring and a complete waste of time. It just a money making exercise.
How many ads can these users click on? How much money can we make? Same old **** over and over and over and over again.

At the end of the day Linux does not need to promote, it's doing it by itself.
We should be concentrating on creating more sites that help users with issues in Linux.
Do a Linux site because you want to not because you need to make money, which is why half of this **** exists.

MikeTheC
April 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Can't speak to the article since I didn't read it. I'm tired and I've already tangled with two journalists today. I don't feel like making it a third just now.

Linux needs to be compared to both Windows and Mac OS X so that it remains in the public consciousness. If there is to be competition for Microsoft and/or Apple, then their competition (us, in other words) must remain viable in the minds of the people.

I really don't get why people here don't get that. If you really don't give a **** about Linux vs. Windows then why don't you just go back to using Windows and quit bothering the rest of us?

Chilli Bob
April 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM
If you really don't give a **** about Linux vs. Windows then why don't you just go back to using Windows and quit bothering the rest of us?

Ummmm..... possibly the most bizzare thing I've ever read.

kilosan
April 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Linux needs to play its own game and quit comparing itself to Windows

Like KDE?

suitedaces
April 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Ummmm..... possibly the most bizzare thing I've ever read.

x2. If you're happy with linux as it is, you should clear off back to windows?

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Can't speak to the article since I didn't read it. I'm tired and I've already tangled with two journalists today. I don't feel like making it a third just now.

Linux needs to be compared to both Windows and Mac OS X so that it remains in the public consciousness. If there is to be competition for Microsoft and/or Apple, then their competition (us, in other words) must remain viable in the minds of the people.

I really don't get why people here don't get that. If you really don't give a **** about Linux vs. Windows then why don't you just go back to using Windows and quit bothering the rest of us?

Just to clarify, who exactly are you mad at ? :P

Peasantoid
April 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hmm, yet another article based on insufficient research.

meeples
April 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
did she say that linux is inferior to windows but has made significant advances?

has she seen the ubuntu vs windows benchmarks? ahaha

.Maleficus.
April 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
This makes no sense at all.

I don't give a **** about Linux vs. Windows because I don't give a **** if Linux becomes mainstream. I'm quite happy with the way Linux is.

And I don't see why they non-haters like myself leaving Linux would help it grow at all. Isn't that counter-productive? I guess if my not-trolling blogs bothers you then I really can't help that, but I'm not going to go bother someone else just because you are bothered by my not.. bothering?