PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it smart to upgrade now? Or wait a few days?

Daxy1979
April 24th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Ok so as I'm sure you've guessed I'm a noob to Ubuntu and to Linux in general. In fact I've only had it installed for a week and then 9.04 came out. I'm just curious if I should update now? Or would it be better to wait a few days?
Thanks in advance!
Daxy

yeats
April 24th, 2009, 03:04 AM
That's a great question, actually. I think if you're new to Linux, you might want to stick with what you've got for at least a few more weeks - maybe get your bearings. Then upgrade (if you wish) once you're more familiar with how everything works. That's my vote anyway...

Daxy1979
April 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM
That's pretty much what I was thinking.. I've pretty much got it mostly (for the time being) figured out. I guess my only other question is if the upgrade button will still be there in a couple of weeks..

joey-elijah
April 24th, 2009, 03:39 AM
That's pretty much what I was thinking.. I've pretty much got it mostly (for the time being) figured out. I guess my only other question is if the upgrade button will still be there in a couple of weeks..

I have a serious case of deja vu atm... weird.

Anyhow, Tbh i don't see a reason NOT to upgrade - regardless of your proficiency with Ubuntu, it's still the same Ubuntu in Jaunty but with the added bonus of better speed, newer applications and the new notifications (which i am in LOVE with).

quixote
April 24th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Re the upgrade button: yes, it'll be there forever.

nexus_2006
April 24th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Might want to wait a few days/weeks. I have been using Ubuntu for a while now. The upgrades have always gone OK for me, but there is always that one thing that you have to f**k with for a week as well. Actually, that hasn't been true for the past few releases, but there is always something. I usually wait tu upgrade until I know I won't NEED the computer for a few days.

This is my first 0-day upgrade, but I'm triple booting my previous Ubuntu (8.04) and *******, so I'm not worried about being down.