PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Win 2000/ubuntu 8.10 dual boot !

sailthesea
April 24th, 2009, 02:27 AM
No doubt everyone is trying out Jaunty today but I'm still trying to get Intrepid into this old Dell with Win2000 on it
I've got 82% of the disc clear but I'm left with 2 unmovable blocks of files high up in the drive Most of the threads I've searched so far are too out of date to help me...
So :
Can I find out what they are and move them forcibly, With Win or from the LiveCD?

Could they be left over from the Wubi install I deleted?

I would be very grateful if any one has the time to give me a tip!

sailthesea
April 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Please?:(

Ugluk
April 24th, 2009, 03:04 AM
It's probably MFT. It should be sorted out by resizing patrition. Why are you not happy with WUBI install?

sailthesea
April 24th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Wubi worked great but I want the experience of setting dual boot with Ubu and to see how it runs in its own enviroment
What is MFT? I'd like this to work and understand what I'm doing, manually partioning a drive is pretty new to me

sailthesea
April 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM
If I move try to move these files when partitioning will they be destroyed? I can't see GParted rewriting the Windows FAT

sailthesea
April 26th, 2009, 03:18 AM
HI all! Hows Jaunty playing?
I still can't fix this problem with Windows system files blocking my drive out I don't think Gparted will be kind to them if I make a new partition and shrink win down past them
Or would Gparted let me fix this later if I installed in the clear space?
Am really stuck on this I don't have any facility to move them

meierfra.
April 26th, 2009, 04:14 AM
If I move try to move these files when partitioning will they be destroyed?
No. Those blocks should not cause any problems. Also gparted does a read-only practice run before it does the actual resizing. So if gparted will detect any problems before the resize. But of course you should backup any valuable data before you do any partitioning.

sailthesea
April 27th, 2009, 02:00 AM
No. Those blocks should not cause any problems. Also gparted does a read-only practice run before it does the actual resizing. So if gparted will detect any problems before the resize. But of course you should backup any valuable data before you do any partitioning.

Copy that Thanks I'm a bit nervous about this kind of thing
The disk continuity that linux seems to use is a bit new to me but it seems stupid to do it any other way now!
Time to give it a go!:)