PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 to 9.04 graphics problem

andybusse
April 24th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I am trying to upgrade to 9.04, and before any upgrading happened, I got the following warning:

Upgrading may negatively affect your desktop effects as well as performance in games and other graphically intensive programs.

This computer is currently using the AMD 'fglrx' graphics driver. No version of this driver is available that works with your hardware in Ubuntu 9.04.

Do you want to continue?

I don't know whether this would be a problem or not: The only games that I play are over the internet (Kongregate etc.) (it is rare, but sometimes they do have decent graphics) and I do use Compiz.
Is there any way round this where I can get the driver mentioned, and if not, would it really make that much of a difference?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

sieve
April 24th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I got the same message.
All I know is that I used to have problems with the system freezing up until I installed the 3d party graphics driver. I didn't want to have to go through that again, so I aborted the upgrade.

sansa dude
April 24th, 2009, 02:45 AM
same im using ATi x1650 pro 512mb vram

CarpKing
April 24th, 2009, 03:50 AM
The open-source ATI drivers have come a long way since 8.10, so they'll probably work fine as long as you don't play graphics-intensive games (or any 3d games through Wine). That said, to be safe you should probably test with a LiveCD before upgrading. Fglrx also messes up the open-source driver's 3d libraries. I don't know how the upgrade will affect it, but normally after removing fglrx you have to reinstall the open-source drivers before their 3d works.