PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Sanity check my partition scheme?

endtime
April 24th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Hey, before I start installing OSes, could you guys make sure my intended partition scheme makes sense? I'm going to be dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7 on a 640 GB drive. I want to have separate /home and data/docs partitions for Ubuntu and Windows, respectively. I have 4GB of RAM, so I guess that means I should leave 8GB for swap?

[Windows 7 - 30 GB - NTFS][Shared data - 567 GB - NTFS][/home - 20 GB - ext3][/ - 15 GB - ext3][swap - 8GB - ext3]

My intent is to keep everything I can on the shared partition, including Windows games, music, code, and documents. Presumably version control systems etc. will run fine on Ubuntu if the code is on an NTFS partition?

nobodie
April 24th, 2009, 02:24 AM
C drive for windows : usually installed first. I have heard that there can be problems with dualing W7 but I haven't tried.
D drive for W7 backup/restore files.
E drive for your NTFS file sharing.

sda3 for /boot
sda5 for /
sda4 for 2 GB swap (you really will not need all that swap with 4 G RAM: swap was for when your RAM possibilities were very low and using the HDD made some sense for seldom accessed but still "on" procfesses: google "swap" and you'll find some discusssions of this question. Only in high use server environments is it recommended to follow the old 2X rule of thumb)
sda6 for /home

this entailed making sda 5&6 non-primary, but that makes little difference with linux (no requirement for anything other than /boot to be primary.)

This partition setup allows for easy upgrading, easy backup of data and OS in different locations (like data to a tape drive and OS to internal HDD location) and much easier if there are problems down the line.

Notes: 30 GB for W7, is that right????
12GB for / in ubuntu is enough. then, if your data is in the E drive you can reduce your home to 5 or 6 GB.

Here is the Q though, why are you dualing when you could be using virtualbox? I run the latest VB and it lets me share the /home folder with Windows (as well as everything else that I want/need to share, run both computers simultaneously (no rebooting) and with 4 GB of RAM, run at native speeds and perform natively with everything I need to do. I suggest you try it before you leap, install it in ubuntu and see if you don't fall in love with the ease and utility of virtualbox, I have.Plus it has kept getting better.

endtime
April 24th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Here is the Q though, why are you dualing when you could be using virtualbox? I run the latest VB and it lets me share the /home folder with Windows (as well as everything else that I want/need to share, run both computers simultaneously (no rebooting) and with 4 GB of RAM, run at native speeds and perform natively with everything I need to do. I suggest you try it before you leap, install it in ubuntu and see if you don't fall in love with the ease and utility of virtualbox, I have.Plus it has kept getting better.

Is Virtualbox usable for gaming?