PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with installing to external USB hard drive?

Jekshadow
April 24th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I have a 100GB external hard drive and would like to install Ubuntu 8.10 on it. I have found that the built in "Create USB boot disk" function under System -> Administration, can only create boot disks from FAT16 disks, and I am using QTParted to repartition it and it is only allowing me to create 2GB FAT16 partions, and when I create a FAT32 or EXT3 partion, it does not reconize it as a suitable device to create a USB boot disk from. Is there any way for me to use it as an external boot disk? I even tried a 1GB FAT16 partion, 97GB FAT32 partion and a 2GB swap partion, and it still did not reconize it, yet it perfectly reconized my 2GB flash drive.

TBerk
April 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I have a 100GB external hard drive and would like to install Ubuntu 8.10 on it. I have found that the built in "Create USB boot disk" function under System -> Administration, can only create boot disks from FAT16 disks, and I am using QTParted to repartition it and it is only allowing me to create 2GB FAT16 partions, and when I create a FAT32 or EXT3 partion, it does not reconize it as a suitable device to create a USB boot disk from. Is there any way for me to use it as an external boot disk? I even tried a 1GB FAT16 partion, 97GB FAT32 partion and a 2GB swap partion, and it still did not reconize it, yet it perfectly reconized my 2GB flash drive.

Hang in there, this is a Hot Topic with us rank and file end users. While I might not respond to this actual thread (I hope to) this topic is actually also going on over here:

Ubuntu Does not Boot on USB External Hard Drive (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1136903)

Bookmark it.

TBerk

TBerk
April 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Hahahahah, the search function works, it just needs care and feeding. I submit the following wheat berry from amongst the chaff:

HOW TO make a USB Disc with Ubuntu LiveCD and Super Grub Disc in it. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575406&highlight=live+cd+external+hard+drive)

Hope that helps.

TBerk