PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Willing to install but...

arashiko28
April 24th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I already downloaded my .iso and recorded, I'm testing the live CD and checking what might be wrong, so far, great, above my expectations, videos works, last time had to choose alternative installation, this time live CD came like a charm now...
Last time I thought I made a wise choice by separating the home folder from the file system and on the disk usage I do get two separated partitions as I planned, now, If I install 9.04, Is there any chance the info in the /home partition gets deleted?

I know always to backup, but it'll take me forever to backup 100GB!

Only a small orientation, pleaaase!:)

yeats
April 24th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm assuming you're asking for advice. Mine is better safe than sorry - backup before you install! :-)

sgosnell
April 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM
You're human, so there is always a chance you could wipe out your home partition. But as long as you're careful, select the correct partitions for the install, and don't let it format your home partition, it should stay intact. In any case, do a complete backup. You should have one in any case, but do another just before the new install.

phantom3113
April 24th, 2009, 12:51 AM
You're in the same boat I am (although my .iso is still torrenting :-/) My backup will be a little smaller (about 34 Gb), but best of luck to both of us!

arashiko28
April 24th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Arashiko sighs resigned not to install today, will spent the whole night burning DVD's, runs to the closet for her DVD case and :shock: there are none!!! :cry:

Arashiko is sad, the external hard drive is full, the 16GB USB drive is full, what to do with the extra 34GB?!!:(

henwyn
April 24th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I have several hard drives and enough space on one of them to back up the necessary files. However, I have never needed the backup. As was said above, chose the correct partition for your install and mark it to be formatted. Choose your current /home partition as /home and do not mark it for formatting. As long as you chose the correct partitions and mark them appropriately, everything should be fine. Just be sure that you understand which partitions are which and what you are doing. If you have any question, back up.

arashiko28
April 24th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I have several hard drives and enough space on one of them to back up the necessary files. However, I have never needed the backup. As was said above, chose the correct partition for your install and mark it to be formatted. Choose your current /home partition as /home and do not mark it for formatting. As long as you chose the correct partitions and mark them appropriately, everything should be fine. Just be sure that you understand which partitions are which and what you are doing. If you have any question, back up.

JAJAJAJA!!! You have no idea what I've been trough the last hour! I did studied very well the options and the partitions and as said above, by human mistake chose to delete my /home partition, thankfully It's linux and not windows, I got the chance to revert the damage as soon as I realized.
I tried to join two partitions but failed to do so, so I chose the same one as the / and made the installation there, it showed an option to migrate y account info which I accepted. And yes, even after all I got to do a backup before, so I just hope I won't need it.

Beside that, my installation window is just a small box and I can't see the remaining time nor the progress, tried to maximize or resize but the options aren't available, how will I know when it finishes?:confused: