PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stick with 32-bit unless you NEED 64-bit.

taygan
April 24th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I tried out 64 bit Linux with 8.04 and 8.10, and many many times I wanted to run a 3rd party application, but it was 32-bit only.

For 9.04 I'm going back to 32 bit - It works great, just as fast, and has a lot more support.

Sure, the 64-bit version runs great, but I want to be able to run 3rd party apps without all kinds of fussing around with extra libraries, etc.

(Examples include RubyRipper, Adobe AIR, Flash (now in beta) and Video Conferencing Stuff (can't remember the details, I ended up with a mostly working Cheese).

Just a heads up for those trying to decide.

----

P.S. Save the servers, download the torrents. Desktop for clean installs, Alternate Install CD for upgrades (it also can do clean installs, but no live sessions and the installer is the old clunky style).

Official torrents here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/

JK3mp
April 24th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah. 64 bit do show a particular performance increase in "most" systems. But lack of support is the only downfall at this point in time. I believe software vendors and programmers will stretch to put more support too 64 bit systems in the future.

barney385
April 24th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I tried out 64 bit Linux with 8.04 and 8.10, and many many times I wanted to run a 3rd party application, but it was 32-bit only.

For 9.04 I'm going back to 32 bit - It works great, just as fast, and has a lot more support.

Sure, the 64-bit version runs great, but I want to be able to run 3rd party apps without all kinds of fussing around with extra libraries, etc.

(Examples include RubyRipper, Adobe AIR, Flash (now in beta) and Video Conferencing Stuff (can't remember the details, I ended up with a mostly working Cheese).

Just a heads up for those trying to decide.

----

P.S. Save the servers, download the torrents. Desktop for clean installs, Alternate Install CD for upgrades (it also can do clean installs, but no live sessions and the installer is the old clunky style).

Official torrents here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/

I tried that site. It would get to 60% then time out I guess. It was downloading @ 300kbs and then just stop.

:confused:

cariboo
April 24th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I've been using 64-bit for years, and now with 64-bit java and flash plugins available there is no need to run 32-bit unless you need to run propriatory closed source software.

Fatal Toenail Infection
April 24th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I agree with cariboo, I've been using 64-bit for a little over a year now and I haven't had a single problem finding programs or anything.

iaw4
April 24th, 2009, 01:26 AM
...and if you every want to use more than 4GB of RAM, I think you will need the 64 bit version, anyway.

oldos2er
April 24th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I installed Rubyripper on 64-bit 8.10, with no "fussing." I can't see myself ever going back to using 32-bit Ubuntu.