PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anyone using a KVM switch?

ghostu
April 24th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hi,

I have a Vista box and my Ubuntu box on my desk. I'm thinking about getting a KVM switch. Any suggestions? My mouse is a wireless Logitech Revolution. My keyboard doesn't really matter as much.

Thanks!
ghost

jerrrys
April 29th, 2009, 01:39 AM
i dont use one, but i have installed them for others...
best advice i got is get one that does not require a
software install with it...they just always seem to work,
no matter what company they come from...

Vostrocity
April 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM
My recommendation would be to try Synergy (http://lifehacker.com/software/dual-monitor/hack-attack-control-multiple-computers-with-a-single-keyboard-and-mouse-254648.php) first. It's open source triplatform software, and it integrates your systems better than KVM since your cursor and windows can move between your computers as if they were workspaces. The two drawbacks are that you need separate monitors and it hasn't been updated since 06. It was easy to setup when I tried it with Vista and 2k, so shouldn't be much harder on Ubuntu.

Otherwise, this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182093). 2 port KVM with audio, $20 free shipping.

:guitar:

Dy1anW
April 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Yup, two in fact. I'm using this (http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pcid=2005010513171002&psid=20070130114411002&pid=20050120101852007&layerid=subClass3) on my primary monitor a 4-port PS/2 VGA on my secondary. They work great! Naturally there's newer ones that will support HDMI if that's what you're using.

myxiplx
April 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Yup, I've got a little Belkin Switch2 which comes with a button on your desk to swap between them. It works great in Ubuntu, even better than Windows since that installs and removes the USB keyboard & mouse drivers each time you switch... o_0

http://www.belkin.com/uk/switch2/

I also use Synergy for connecting machines, and it's a little complex, but not too hard to set up. That's mainly something I would suggest if you're regularly going to be using both computers at once, and have room for a couple of monitors.

DaveTheA
May 29th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I brought a Belkin Switch 2 and Jaunty defaults to 300x??? or 600x???. So I am looking for a solution to this and have yet to find one :-(

Really annoying!

dualbu
October 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I'm using an ATEN Master View CS-1764.

It works great with three machines running Windows and one Mac OS.

But I set up dual boot for one of the windows machines (Acer Aspire X3200). It's running W7 and 10.4 Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, when Ubuntu is running, the switch gets unhappy.

1. It is harder to switch manually between machines - the buttons seem unresponsive. I have to press harder and longer.

2. As noted in an older read-only thread,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=547299&highlight=ATEN

typing is a nightmare. Key presses often result in rapid repeats of letters, like this: testttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I booted in to a 10.10 Ubuntu disk and did a trial run. Same problem!

I can't find anything on the Internet about this yet, and I'm waiting to hear from ATEN to see if they shed any light on this.

I run an older version of Ubuntu (8.04) on an older Dell machine, also on the switch, and I did not see any problems at all with the switch box.

Maybe the issue has something to do with the Acer, bios or something. I'm looking for an answer to this.

coffeecat
October 29th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'm using an Aten Master View CS-1782 and I have no problem as you describe in Ubuntu.

My Aten is a two-way connected to my home-build Linux machine and a Mac Mini. No Windows at all. Not a hint, sniff or whiff.

When you say 'buttons', do you mean the button switch on the Aten or keyboard hotkeys?

You do get odd interactions with KVMs, so perhaps your thought about the Acer BIOS may be correct. When I tried a Logitech mouse with this Aten, the mouse cursor went completely bananas - that was in both Ubuntu and MacOS - yet a cheap generic mouse is working quite happily. And the Logitech mouse was OK when connected directly to a computer.

dualbu
October 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Got an email reply from ATEN yesterday.

They suggested trying different USB ports, etc., not to mention using the keyboard to change inputs instead of the physical switches. But with a keyboard problem.... hm.

I took the Acer off my switch and tried it with separate keyboard and mouse (using Ubuntu 10.10, which I upgraded to from 10.4).

No keyboard problems that way.

I also changed the switch box connections and usb ports on the computer, as suggested by ATEN.

Back on the switch, same keyboard problem I had earlier.

I asked ATEN if a firmware upgrade might fix the problem, but they did not address that so far.

Yes, it could be the Acer bios, yet one more thing for me to dislike about this computer.

Still I wonder what is different about Ubuntu that makes the Acer disrupt the switch while W7 does not. The Acer performs just fine with W7.

I tried changing the keyboard settings in 10.10 to no avail.

I forgot to mention that if I type very slowly, no repeats. Typing half normal speed, however, will cause repeat characters.

ronnielsen1
October 30th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I'm using a trendnet kvm switch with no problems