PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 to 9.04 Upgrade Question

taxidude221
April 23rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Since I realized my other thread was posted in wrong forum, I'm posting it in here (the right forum).

So I currently have 8.10 installed on my Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop, which has a Broadcom wireless card. My question is, if I upgrade to 9.04 will my Broadcom driver still work? I don't know which driver I am using (fwcutter, ndiswrapper, or the official Broadcom driver), although I think it is the official Broadcom driver. I'm sure you can give me a terminal command to find out. Also, would all my packages be intact, including my xampp server (which I only use for testing php code)? Thanks in advance for any help.

m_2009
April 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
DId you install the driver manually, or was it automatically detected when you installed 8.10?

taxidude221
April 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
At first I had enabled the Broadcom driver that Hardware Drivers found. Then I tried to update to the b43 driver (the official driver), but I have no way of telling if it worked because I think I accidentally un-blacklisted the ndiswrapper. I checked in my Package Manager and it said that ndiswrapper was installed, so I don't know if I am using that or the official driver (I know I am not using the fwcutter one because that's the driver it lists it Hradware Drivers and it is not enabled). Is the a terminal command that would tell me which drivers I am using?

m_2009
April 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Im not sure if there is.

I know there you can download packages such as

sudo apt-get hardinfo

And similar ones, i know it gives you information about the hardware, but not sure if it also gives the driver version.

taxidude221
April 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
I installed Sysinfo from Add/Remove in Application menu, because hardinfo wasn't recognized by terminal. It did not tell me which driver I am using. So back at square one.

m_2009
April 23rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
DId you try and searh for hardinfo in synaptic?

And possibly update the repos first...

sudo apt-get update

And then try and find hardinfo in either terminal or synaptic

Just found this one too from a quick google search.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DeviceManager

Again im not sure if these give driver informatino or just hardware info, could be worth a try though?

taxidude221
April 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
I installed hardinfo. And it doesn't tell me the driver. I will continue to look for a terminal command.

Edit: Just found my blacklist file again and this is where I found ndiswrapper:

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp
blacklist ssb
ndiswrapper

Looks to me like ndiswrapper is not blacklisted since it doesn't have 'blacklist' next to it

RealZetto
April 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
As a result of upgrading to Jaunty my touchpad has been killed :sad: (left and right buttons work OK)
Is there a fix for that?

mlbarnes
April 24th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I just upgraded from 8.10 server to 9.04 server and everything went fine with no errors. When the upgrade finished and rebooted the system I get this error:

Apr 23 19:46:36 cora kernel: Cannot find map file.
Apr 23 19:46:36 cora kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled.

The server loads apache, ftpd and sshd and a total of 16 processes but cannot reach them via the domain nor the IP. I can tell that not all the processes are loaded.

Any suggestions on how to fix this one?

RealZetto
April 24th, 2009, 12:34 AM
As a result of upgrading to Jaunty my touchpad has been killed :sad: (left and right buttons work OK)
Is there a fix for that?
Resolved: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/315882/comments/33

taxidude221
April 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Why are you two hijacking my thread?

Slim Odds
April 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Why are you two hijacking my thread?

Must be this upgrade feeding frenzy that's going on today.

Yours is not the first thread to get 'jacked' :P

djbushido
April 24th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Don't worry about anyone hijacking your thread.
Do me a favor - go to the hardware driver manager, find your driver, and tell me what it says.
Also, Jaunty will tell you during upgrade if a hardware driver will no longer work. Ubuntu is EXTREMELY good about handling drivers.
Finally, if a mod is in blacklist, it is blacklisted. period. as far as i know, because if b43 and ndiswrapper are both trying to use the same card, then it doesn't work. So the fact that it does work is a sign that something has gone right, and chances are that it will work in Jaunty.

itmanvn
April 24th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Last night I've updated from 8.10 to 9.04. But while the update is running my laptop out of battery and turn off, when I restart I see a new login screen but when logged in I just see an orange coloured screen and the cursor. Please help :(

taxidude221
April 24th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Don't worry about anyone hijacking your thread.
Do me a favor - go to the hardware driver manager, find your driver, and tell me what it says.
Also, Jaunty will tell you during upgrade if a hardware driver will no longer work. Ubuntu is EXTREMELY good about handling drivers.
Finally, if a mod is in blacklist, it is blacklisted. period. as far as i know, because if b43 and ndiswrapper are both trying to use the same card, then it doesn't work. So the fact that it does work is a sign that something has gone right, and chances are that it will work in Jaunty.
If you mean Hardware Drivers, then it says:
Driver:
Broadcom B43 wireless driverDescription:
fwcutter is a tool which can extract firmware from various source files.It's written for BCM43xx driver files.
And at the bottom it says:
A different version of this driver is in use.It seems like fwcutter is deactivated, ndiswrapper is blacklisted, so does that mean that the official driver is working? Will this work in Jaunty? Also, if it doesn't work in Jaunty I still have my USB disk so I can re-install Intrepid. Now if I have to re-install Inrepid is it okay to overwrite the partition I have for Ubuntu?

itmanvn
April 24th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Last night I've updated from 8.10 to 9.04. But while the update is running my laptop out of battery and turn off, when I restart I see a new login screen but when logged in I just see an orange coloured screen and the cursor. Please help :(

sudo dpkg --configure -a
fixed for me :lolflag:

taxidude221
April 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Any help with this still?